How to remove closed issued for the Assigned to me Dashboard

Sarah Medeiros April 26, 2018

On the Dashboard home page I have items that I have competed and are listed as DONE but are still showing on the assigned to me dashboard on my homepage. Is there a way for when these tasks/ issues are completed and done for them to no longer show?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2018

Hi! Yep, adjust the JQL in the underlying filter. If you are using the assigned to me gadget, you may need to change gadgets that you are using. 

Start with making a new filter.

Issues > Search for issues

Make the JQL "assignee = me and status != closed". 

Then add a filter results gadget to a dashboard. You may need to create a new (or copy the other one you had) dashboard if you don't have permission to edit the other one. Adjust the gadget to use the new filter you just made. 

That should do it! Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hi Ryan!

Thank you so much for responding to me! I was able to do the JQL Search but now I am a little confused on how to add this filter to my home gadget dashboard. Can you please clarify on how I would add this JQL search results onto my home dashboard for the issues assigned to me?

Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2018

Hi Sarah,

So you should have saved the filter and given it a title. Now you can utilize this filter for gadgets on your dashboard.  So now we either need to copy the old dashboard, so that you can make changes to it that only you will see, or create a new dashboard.

1. At the top right of the Dashboard, click the Tools menu.
  2. Select either Create Dashboard to create a blank dashboard, or Copy Dashboard to create a copy of the dashboard you are currently viewing.
  3. Name and describe your dashboard.
  4. Fill out the rest of the fields as applicable.
  5. Click Add.

Then add a gadget to your dashboard (once you have edit permissions on the dashboard you will see an area to add gadgets to the white space of your dashboard), and select the "filter results" gadget. You may need to load all gadgets, then search them for the appropriate one. 

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2018

If you also do not want to see any issue that has been resolved but in another status (like Resolved), you can use Jql as below

"assignee = currentUser and resolution is EMPTY"
Like Marko Vrgotic likes this

Thank you Everyone!

Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2018

If everything is working now, can you mark this answer as accepted? There should be a checkbox next to the answer. Thank you!

TRF
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 17, 2019

We hit this issue when we added Service Desk due to the closed category name was not in the default filter. To further expand upon Tuncay's response, another option you can use to specify is

statusCategory not in (Done)

This will cover all names of green statuses and can be combined with the previously mentioned 'resolution is EMPTY' to make sure a status has a resolution and is in a done status before dropping it via your filter

Like Tuncay Senturk likes this
Jon Bearman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 24, 2019

I am not sure if JQL has changed but I needed to write it like this: 

assignee = currentUser() and status not in (Closed, Done) order by Key
Like Marko Vrgotic likes this
Miguel Costa March 17, 2020

as soon as you have to change this to a filter then the assigned to me widget is useless...

I can't believe this is marked as the correct answer when in fact is not the answer at all.

this is the same as saying don't use that do it a different way

Like # people like this
Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2020

Jira is made to be customized. Seems like you don't really understand that. 

well it makes no sense that you need to customize what "assign to me" is...

also in a proper corporate world you should not have to be admin to do such basic things like configure a proper dashboard with the most basic features. I stand by my comment it really upsets me that my company pays for such a tool

Like Purushottam Ahire likes this
Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2020

You can make your own dashboard and filters. You don't need an admin. Seems like you would rather complain than learn to me. It's a powerful tool- if you want it to be. There's a reason your company pays for it. 

8 votes
Olap December 20, 2018

The problem is the the Assigned to Me widget is crap because shows you every ticket you ever worked on. Like many things Jira, you can work around this half-baked feature by creating your own filter (but why would Atlassian suggest this "Assigned to Me" widget in the first place?).

Thanks god we're leaving Jira in 2019.

this definitely should be the correct answer. why would I need to create a filter for this. why are final status not automatically excluded... such a terrible software with so much user base... unbelievable 

Like # people like this
1 vote
s.r.k.bloye
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 22, 2020

The following worked for me.

Add a 'Filter results' gadget then use a saved filter 'openIssuesAssignedToMe' which I created in the search using Status != Done.

I couldn't see an option to add filters to 'assigned to me' gadget.

MARY USEN February 9, 2021

is there a filter that shows Open Issues Watched by me?

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

Below is the unresolved issues watched by current user

resolution is EMPTY and watcher = currentUser() 

and below is the issues in Open status watched by current user

status = OPEN and watcher = currentUser() 
0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2023

fyi, the JQL behind this gadget is:
assignee = currentUser() and resolution=unresolved

let us customise it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events