How to remove Epic Link fom an Epic?

Tibor Gulyas April 20, 2017

Hi!

I had some Stories, with the same Epic Link.

I moved all this Stories to Epic with move issue function, so all them turned into Epic.

After the moving, I still see all this Epic's under the original Epic, in the Storys in Epic section.

How can I remove this ex Story new Epics from the original Epic??

Thanks.

Tibor

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

Hi Tibor,

which version of JIRA are you using? In JIRA Cloud, I was unable to reproduce your behavior.

I could think of two ways:

• Change them back to stories, remove the epic link and change them back to epic.
  • Use the REST API "Remove issues from epic" to remove all the issues from the epic you do not want to have in there.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Tibor Gulyas April 20, 2017

Hi Matthias,

We use JIRA 7.3.3 server version.

Thanks for the advice. After changing back to story, I was able to remove Epic link. Unfortunatelly, during the move, this issue lost their Epic status and Epic Name settings, and it must be set again when it moved back to Epic.

Regards,

Tibor

Randall Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2017

I used this technique with one addendum, thanks to your warning.

I first setup a DUMMY Fix Version value (a DUMMY release), set all the issues in the Epic to have that DUMMY value.  After putting the Epic back to an Epic, I was able to re-assign the issues back to the Epic.  I then cleared out the DUMMY Fix Version from the issues and removed it from the releases list.

Yes, I could have used a field other than Fix Version (maybe components) for this re-assign step.

Suggest an answer