How to make AD Users Inactive in On Prem Jira

Richard Coward April 24, 2024

We are currently lowering our User count in Jira and need to make users Inactive. They are connected using Active Directory Groups, we have removed them from the Groups in AD but they remain as Active Users and therefore using up a licence.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
NTAMEN NTANMI luc landry April 24, 2024

Good morning @Richard Coward

a simple and quick solution would be to interrupt the access of the users concerned

To do this you go to the user part of the admin hub:
settings –> User Management

then you search for the users to suspend then you click on the three dots (•••) and you click on suspend by proceeding in this way you will not have to delete them from the groups and you can reactivate them at the desired time.

There is no option to suspend. All I have is "Edit User Groups", "View Project Roles" and "Anonymize user".

Are you Org admin ? 

No, I am just the Jira Administrator

@Richard Coward  Please describe your application and your access to me exactly.

We have the Data Center version of Jira, Access is through Microsoft Active Directory with access to specific Jira Groups. In our case it is Jira-All-Groups, Jira-All-Groups-Local and Jira-User

Our IT guys have removed the person from the AD groups above but in Jira they remain Active and therefore using a licence

Hope that helps

Ha ok it's normal it's not you to do this you don't have the authorizations to do so.

the Org admin can effectively manage billing and access to products.

get closer to him.

Like Richard Coward likes this

hi @Richard Coward

You are in a data center so removing the affected users from all the different groups they belong to should be enough.

For more information please refer to this document:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/licensing-your-jira-applications-938847718.html

Excellent thank you. Currently I cannot remove anyone from the groups as their User Directory is read Only for me

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

Hi @Richard Coward 

Welcome to the community.

Active users don't count license if they don't have an application access.

Ex; default access group for Jira software is jira-software-users. It only consumes a license if user is member of this group.

Please check this KB: Licensing and application access

If users come from external directory such as AD, you need to make inactive them in that tool. There is no action to take in Jira side.

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2024

Oh there is, entirely depending on whether you're using just in time provisioning or syncing users periodically.

Just because a user is disabled or removed from AD may have 0 effect on Jira, unless Jira is synchronizing those users. If there is just provisioning based on login then nothing will happen, unless they do actually log in, and that itself probably won't de-activate them either.

When not synchronizing users, I would suggest to disable them in bulk by hand, or look for a way to automate it assuming you might want to do this in the future again (as you mention groups, by removing them from those groups in Jira, just disabling the users could be problematic if they ever came back).

Thank you, it does seem that it is not synchronizing back in Jira. Our IT Guys have removed the person from the AD Groups but it has not updated in Jira

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events