How to leave Jira board

Deleted user January 14, 2020

Please explain where in the UI I can leave/exit a Jira board.

8 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

@[deleted] 
What do you mean by "leave/exit" ?

To come out of a board when viewing, just clicking any other function to exit the current board.

If you meant something else, happy to help! Please provide more details.

Board_01.jpg

@Andy - PTC RedundantThank you for the quick response!

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant is that I no longer want to take part in a Jira board created by someone else.

I don't have permission to change board setting since I'm not a board administrator.

Reason for this is that I keep getting notifications about activity within the board while I am no longer working on this project.

I've looked everywhere but failed to find a way to "leave" the project entirely

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

The project (or Jira or System) admins will have to remove you from the project role(s) that are granting you access.

That person no longer uses Jira.. any way I can do it myself?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

@[deleted] : what Nic said 👍🤓 and yes, you can with the corrects rights... by clicking on:

Project Settings -> People 
(See screenshots below)

Do you have (at a minimum) Site Admin rights to do this yourself?
Preferably find your Org & Site Admin master user within the company.
These people can (and should know how to) do everything:

SiteAdmin.jpg

Does this help?
Need more screenshots to help guide you?? 

Site_Admin_Board_People.png

I do not have the rights to do what you suggest.

Seems there is nothing left except close my account and make a new one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank @Andy - PTC Redundant & @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for your support

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

You must have an admin somewhere!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

@[deleted] :
Definitely DO NOT close account / make a new one 🚫⛔
Please DO hunt down your company's Admin and get them to sort it out ! 🤓✔

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

@[deleted] : do you need any more assistance or is your question answered sufficiently?

Deleted user January 16, 2020

@Andy - PTC RedundantNo thank you, my question is answered.

Like Deleted user likes this
8 votes
Martijn Spronk June 23, 2020

It may meet the compliance and regulation laws, but doesn't take away from the fact that it's very annoying and not user friendly.

Right now, because of the beauty of consolidation of jira projects under my single account (which is nice).. I also have the drawback of having a "hibernate jira" project under my accounts.

I haven't used it for many years and would like to just remove it / unregister it from my account.

Well, good luck finding an administrator that can do me the favor of removing me. (There is no 'contact administrator' placeholder on the project either).

I see no reason the person that is the subject of the project-member relationship should not have the permission to remove themselves from a jira project (or at the least, a button to 'request' removal). Cause the alternative is just having loose ends.

4 votes
dirk May 12, 2020

This same question has been asked many times, but Jira still does not offer a way to remove your account from a company/project when you don't have admin rights. Atlassian please stop pointing fingers to project administrators and implement the functionality to remove your own account.

Not having such a feature is strongly in violation with the GDPR and should be taken more seriously.

A similar topic started 2 years ago:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-leave-a-company-or-project/qaq-p/797851

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

They aren't going to do that. 

It does not violate GDPR, and it meets multiple compliance and regulation laws.  The violation in GDPR comes when the organisation does not have a process that fits it, not with the software.

3 votes
Herberth Obregón November 23, 2020

Why has the software been around for so many years and it still doesn't work? incredible that I have no options to exit a project.
If I make derogatory comments about atlassian and jira, would they delete my account and thus manage to exit the projects I have?

1 vote
jhughes2112 July 30, 2021

Please allow people to self-manage their participation in projects.  Absolutely, admins should be required to add you.  But absolutely, if I do not want my account associated with a toxic project, I should be able to remove it from my account.  I don't understand why this is such a big deal.  Look at how Github manages accounts before saying you're doing it right.

0 votes
Jorge Obregón Pérez September 1, 2021

i dont know why, jira just doesnt implement this, its not that complicated ... many people ask for the feature, it will not affect in anything ....

Jorge Obregón Pérez September 1, 2021

also i really want to leave many death boards, i contacted my admin, but he just said there is nothing wrong with having those boards, and he will do it when he got time, you dont get the frustration i got in having those boards and projects in my "global view" i just dont want them and i cant do anything, i should have the option to do it

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2021

No, it is not complicated for boards, if you don't want to use a board, then, well, don't use it.  De-"favourite" them, delete your bookmarks for them and they will drift down your list of "recently used" and drop off after a while.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2021

Hi everyone,

Currently within Jira Cloud, there is not a mechanism to allow end users to remove themselves from a board or a project.  The project administrator (or higher level) have complete control over which users are members of a project.  That said we have created a feature request that seeks to allow end users to remove themselves from a project over in JRACLOUD-75105.  I would recommend voting and/or watching that ticket for updates to this.

In the meantime, if you find yourself a member of a project that you do not want to participate in, please reach out an administrator of that project and ask them to remove you.

Andy

0 votes
JuanSotelo June 8, 2021

Looks like I have to quit Jira in order to delete a project that I am not currently working. Crazy! Please fix this ASAP.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2021

There is nothing to fix.  As described above, if you wish to stop hearing from a project, ask the project admin to remove you.  If you no longer have a use for a system, ask the system admins to remove you from it.

Remember that your presence in someone else's system belongs to them, not you.

JuanSotelo June 8, 2021

I lost contact to that person so I cant ask for that. Also, I cant delete my account to start a new project (this was a free project).

I already lost like half hour trying to fix this, my guess is that I will not use Jira for a new project that I am starting. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2021

You don't need to delete anything to start a new project, I am a little confused as to why you think that.

If you're using (free) Jira Cloud for your existing project, and you are not the owner of that Jira (and you say you've lost contact with the owner), there's nothing to stop you starting your own free Jira Cloud system separately, with the same account.

JuanSotelo June 8, 2021

When I tried to create a new project, there is a note that says that people from the project that I want to leave will access to the content of the new project. Looks like the project is linked somehow to the project that I want to leave. Thanks for your time on this.

Like Dylan likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2021

That sounds like you are creating a team project in someone else's Jira or Trello.

Sign up for your own Jira or Trello workspace and create the new stuff in there, it doesn't have to have anything to do with the other person's systems.

JuanSotelo June 21, 2021

I want my account to be deleted. I dont want to be part of that project anymore and  I cant do anything while my email is related to this account. 

I cant also delete my account because it says that is related to this old project.

its like a deadlock, I can't do anything.

Like # people like this
Paul Dotsenko July 6, 2021

Got same case... 

Like Lucas Roncato likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

It's the same answer as given above

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events