How to import an excel to jira structure

AJ September 28, 2018

I have an excel (project plan) with 6 levels of hierarchy (using group function).   I would like to import this to a jira structure (template).   How do I accomplish this? 

1 answer

0 votes
Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2018

Hi AJ,

Thanks for your post. 

I might be able to help you but first I need a bit more information. What do the Groups represent? Fields, Issues, Folders or other?

I look forward to assisting you.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

AJ October 2, 2018

Thanks Vlad.  

Basically I have a spreadsheet with about 600 lines of tasks (issues).  I have grouped them together to represent subtasks, tasks, stories, epics, etc.   If I can just import the 600 tasks and able to say what project type (subtasks, tasks, stories, epics), rest of the hierarchy I can manage manually.   

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2018

Hi AJ,

Thanks for clarifying.

Sounds like you should be able to do this using Jira's CSV Import functionality. Please click on the following link to learn more about Importing data from CSV. (Please be sure to select the right Jira Server Version.)

Once the Issues are in Jira, you will be able to visualize them using Structure.

I hope this helps. Otherwise, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

AJ October 4, 2018

Thanks.  I will try that.  What field should I use so that they all show up under one structure? Is there a structure ID or structure name or something else?

AJ October 9, 2018

Quick follow-up to see what field should I use so that they all show up under one structure? Is there a structure ID or structure name or something else?

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

Hi AJ,

Sorry I missed your original follow up question. 

The idea here is to Import all of the desired Issues first and then you can build your structure using Automation to include the imported Issues. For instance, if the Issues belong to Project "Project AJ", you would enable Automation, click on the "+" sign, choose Insert and enter the following JQL: 

project = "Project AJ"

You would then have a flat list of all the Issues from that Project and from there, you can use other Generators to build the desired Hierarchy. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you need assistance building your structure(s) with Automation. You can also contact our Support Team at support@almworks.com or I can be reached directly at vlad@almworks.com.

Best Regards,

Vlad

[ALM Works]

AJ October 9, 2018

Thanks Vlad.  The problem here is that the Project name (for example Project AJ) is a common name we use for all our structures.  So I cannot just add that through Automation.  That is why I was thinking of a structure name or ID that I can use which will be unique to this structure. 

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2018

Hi AJ,

You can either define the Project in the CSV or indicate which existing Project to upload the issues into. The issues must be imported into Jira first and from there, you can either create a new structure that will allow you to visualize them or modify an existing one by editing the Inserter (if Automated) to include the uploaded issues. 

Perhaps I'm missing something here, if so, please feel free to provide any additional pertinent information. But at this time, there's no option to upload issues directly into a structure from Jira's CSV Import Feature.

Best Regards,

Vlad

[ALM Works]

AJ October 11, 2018

Thanks Vlad.  I was looking for the option to upload issues directly into a structure.  Looks like that is not possible.  So I will try to import into a "made-up" project, so that it does not impact my current projects and I can easily identify the tasks I just added, and then use automation to make it part of the structure and then change the project to the correct project. 

Kamlesh Totlani June 27, 2019

AJ did you ever get a solution to this? I would like to achieve this too. Thanks in advance. 

KT. 

Like M Vijay Kumar likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2019

Hi, @Kamlesh Totlani. Are you hoping to import directly from Excel into Structure as well? As Vlad pointed out, this is not possible.  However, you can import from Excel into Jira and then use Structure's automation feature to insert the new issues into your structure board.

If you need some additional guidance, our support team can help you out.

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer