How to identify individual cells within a table on a JIRA Issue ticket

Tyler Newman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 14, 2024

I would like to insert a web address into a specific cell in a table in a JIRA ticket. How can I identify individual cells in order to do this?

Specifically, I would like to do this using automation so that once a JIRA ticket is generated it is inserted into a location on a table under a field tab in another JIRA Issue. Is this possible? 

1 answer

0 votes
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2024

Hi @Tyler Newman 

Can I confirm the logic here...

• When a Jira issue is created
  • And a web address is present
  • Then copy that web address into a linked/related issue
  • Into a specific table cell

...is this correct?

---

And a few questions...

• Is this an existing table?
  • Are there other things on the table? Knowing how this is laid out would be great
  • Will the table be updated more than once?
  • How will the rule know which cell to choose? Is there a unique identifier to refer to?
  • What is the web link for? What's the need here?

Ste

Tyler Newman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 14, 2024

Hi Stephen,

Your logic is correct.

To answer your questions:

• Is this an existing table?
    • Yes
  • Are there other things on the table? Knowing how this is laid out would be great
    • Yes
  • Will the table be updated more than once?
    • The table will be updated more than once. The cell will be updated once, but could be updated multiple times. 
  • How will the rule know which cell to choose? Is there a unique identifier to refer to?
    • This is really the crux of my question.
  • What is the web link for? What's the need here?
    • The web link is to track the other JIRA ticket that was generated. So we have an automated process that runs and when it runs it creates a JIRA ticket. I want the URL of the generated ticket to be tracked in my issue ticket as recognition of this process being run.

I don't need JIRA to perform the automation for me, I can do that outside of JIRA, what I need to know is how to identify the cell in the table where I want to paste this URL. But more than that I might also need to know how to identify the table within the field tab.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events