How to handle custom fields with the API on a Jira Server instance ?

Olivier Ropers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2018

Hello everyone

In the Jira Cloud platform Developer, the REST APIs presents a set of options to handle custom fields, especially update an issue field option :

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/#api-api-3-field-fieldKey-option-optionId-put

I'd like to use the "Field" APIs on a Jira Server instance, but it does not seem to exist (for the update/delete part). How can I do the equivalent on a Jira Server instance ?

And if not, do you know if it is scheduled in the Jira Server roadmap ?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi @Olivier Ropers,

While waiting for a response of the Atlassian Team, I have seen this add-on claiming to achieve that feature, but never tested it: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217643/extender-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

I know that this is not an out of the box solution but didn't find the answer you needed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Olivier Ropers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 5, 2018

Hello Cristian

Thank you for your answer. Indeed, I've seen this plugin (seems to be the only one to do that actually). I will test it and let you know if it works the way I want.

I was just wondering about this significant difference between the Cloud and Server APIs for Jira...

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2018

Thanks! That would be really useful information!

Suggest an answer