How to get the latest comment from an issue in Jira?

Edilson Hernandez Serpa April 24, 2023

Hi community!

I need to filter the latest commment from an issue (epic,task,etc.) because I want to generate a report automatically.

Thanks!!

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

You could do this by creating an automation and then use {{issue.comments.last.body}} to get the last comment.

Edilson Hernandez Serpa April 25, 2023

Hi Mikael

Thanks for your answer!

I am trying to do a JQL query with that smart value and I am having problems. My idea is to do a query because I want to make a Confluence page and have the reports automatically. I am trying this:

project = POR39505 AND summary ~ "Book project" AND issuetype = Epic AND "comment ~ {{issue.comments.last.body}}"

I need to extract the last comment from that epic. If you can give me some advice on this, I will be very grateful

Thanks!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Edilson Hernandez Serpa

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be easy to do using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a large number of so-called "smart columns" that aren’t natively available, including the latest comment (along with many other comment-related columns).

This is how it looks in action:

comments.gif

As you can see above, you can easily view, sort, and filter by the latest comment, and also add new comments, either on a single issue or in bulk via copy/paste. You can also use the latest comment across JXL's advanced features such as (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping, sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events