How to get a future sprint listed in dropdown to move incomplete items as part of closing a sprint?

Lisa Gilmore April 14, 2019

I need move incomplete items from a sprint I am closing to an existing future sprint.

Typically, I am able to move incomplete items to either a future sprint, or the backlog, as part of closing the sprint - there is a drop down to select where to move the incomplete items. In this case, the future sprint is not listed in the drop down (and not found in a search).

How can I get the future sprint to display so I can select it and not have to move the items to the backlog and then move them again to the future sprint?  

2 answers

1 vote
Chris Nicosia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2019

Hey @Lisa Gilmore - If the future sprint is already created in your backlog view, you should be able to see it and select it.  Can you send some screenshots to help understand the issue a little better?   Ideally, it would be good to see a screenshot of:

• The close sprint dialog 
  • The top of your scrum board in the Active Sprints view 
  • At least the top of your backlog (you can toggle the arrow to close your sprints if you want to hide any ticket names)
Lisa Gilmore April 14, 2019

Thanks for your prompt reply . . .

I was able to find a work-around - I added items to the 'new' sprint and then it displayed in the drop down during the close process. Not sure why - I don't believe that was the case before (you could "open" as many sprints as you wanted and they would all show in the drop down whether they had items in them or not.

If I get a chance, next time I close I sprint, I'll capture the items you suggested to see if there is an actual issue to be addressed or if it is working as designed.

Thanks!

Like Chris Nicosia likes this
Moran Ressler-Arazi January 11, 2022

hi, @Chris Nicosia, unfortunately, I have the same issue as in the above and would love to know how to solve it,
I opened all of the sprints for the 2022 and cant see all of them in my dropdown or to search them there 

so I see most of them but not all of them and if I try to add them in writing they don't appear

attaching a print screen of the dropdown

Sprint view2.PNGSprint view1.PNG

Kev Burns January 28, 2022

Hi Moran

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same issue. A user can't see all the sprints in the dropdown. However, when I try it i can see everything (but i'm a JIRA admin). I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks

Kevin

0 votes
Steve Holland December 28, 2023

only sprints that have not started yet show up in that drop down.  As you can see in this image, we have 3 started sprints, 7 unstarted sprints, and the Backlog.  When i try to Complete any of the started sprints, only the 7 unstarted sprints and backlog show as options.  At least this is the case for my instance (jira cloud) 

opensprintsnomove.jpg

Suggest an answer