How to filter: Epics for Issues with labels

zaceno September 7, 2018

I have a team working with stories which all belong to Epics in various projects. We use a particular label to identify the stories across projects that belong to this team.

So, a filter to show all their stories is a simple matter of `labels in ("TheLabel")`

Now, I'd also like to make a list of all the Epics across all projects (*just* the epics), which contain at least one story with this team's label.

How does one achieve this?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2018

@zaceno, welcome to the Community. I can’t come up with a JQL that would work for you but how about the following option?

Rather than labels, add a custom field called say “Teams” or whatever. Then associate the field with the projects and epics. Add the team to the epic as necessary. Then you could use a simple JQL like - issuetype = epic and “Teams” = teamA. Note you can make the custom field a multi select so you could include multiple teams involved in the epic.

zaceno September 10, 2018

Thanks @Jack Brickey ! Yeah that's for sure an option.

Actually, since we already have a label to identify stories that belong to the team, I guess an equivalent approach would be to just manually apply that label to all  relevant epics as well. 

It's a manual/administrative task, which will require some upkeep -- that's what I was hoping to avoid. But if there isn't a JQL to solve it automatically, not I guess it's what we have to do :)

Thanks again!

0 votes
Lime Trees September 8, 2018

Hi,

You can have a look at our add-on Epic Finder which has many useful functions to find epics and their issues according to different conditions.

In your case you can simply use function efEpics, which returns all epics that satisfy given condition, eg. particular label.

More details can be found in User Guide - you can also take a look at Ultimate Guide for more examples of using our functions.

Regards,

Lime Trees Support Team

zaceno September 10, 2018

@Lime Trees Thanks! I'll look into it. Unfortunately it's not up to me what add-ons we pay for & install. But if it looks like it solves our problem I'll definitely put it on the wish-list.

Suggest an answer