How to execute JIRA Automation when transitionig from a specific status to another specfifc status.

Liam Maeder July 22, 2019

Good Day

I am trying to set up automation that adds and removes a specific component for Queries.

I  am trying to make it so that when a task is moved into "Query - To Do" it adds the Query component and when moving from "Query - WIP" to 3 other statuses it removes it and leaves the original components.

Is it possible to:

1 - Set up an automation rule that occurs on a specific transition

2 - Remove a specific component from a list of multiple components

We have something setup using JQL but it is affecting all tasks that were changed in the ;ast minute.

JQL: For the transition from Query - WIP: "status changed FROM "Query - WIP" AFTER -1m"

I use an IF/ELSE condition where:

IF Component/s = A AND Component/s = E THEN clear Component/s and populate with A.

Else Component/s = B AND Component/s = E THEN cleat Component/s and populate with B.

I will attach a screen shot of my rule setup.

Thanks for any advice or help.

My initial setup:

image.png

The If/Else Statement:

image.png

Thanks again

1 answer

0 votes
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

Hi @Liam Maeder

Why is it not possible to do this in transition post-functions?

If you're looking to add / remove data from a field based on transitions, its probably easier to do it using the post-function option on the workflow's transition to execute this.

Let me know if I've misunderstood the simplicity here though :)

Ste

Liam Maeder July 24, 2019

Hi Ste

We were already doing this but to set up the multiple levels of preconditions for the different components became a lot of admin and made the transition lag, especially when doing this on a bulk transition. The automation could make it better or at least easier to manage and update..

Maybe if you know a way that I can do this on the workflow without all the preconditions and just remove a single component from a list of components?? That would be the optimal solution.

Many thanks for the advise :)

Suggest an answer