How to define/show a milestone in jira work management

Rosana Casilli February 22, 2022

Hi All!!

One of the PMs is using Jira work management for its projects.

He wants to add a milestone to be shown in Timeline section. He created a release and he associated it to one of the task in the project to see if its going to shows anything but it doesn't.

He followed the steps in this article but no luck https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/use-jira-work-management-for-project-management/

Is it possible? or should we move to Jira Software and buy an addon as big picture o WBS Gant?

Thanks in advance,

Ro

2 answers

0 votes
Mary
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2022

Hi @Rosana Casilli, it’s Tania from Planyway. Perhaps you’re open to trying other tools and wouldn’t mind giving a chance to Planyway. There, your PM can add milestones by simply clicking on the timeline in the corresponding line: 

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 16.47.59.png

The milestones will be visible only in Planyway (not in Jira) and will be shown across multiple projects on one timeline in Planyway. 

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll be happy to help.

0 votes
Travis February 23, 2022

Having the exact same problem, except I can't even access Versions/Releases where the articles say they are meant to be.

Rosana Casilli February 23, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ! good morning!!

In my post there is a link to an article: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/use-jira-work-management-for-project-management/

In that article there is a section named "Add project milestones using versions"
Although I can create versions, and add the affected version to issues, in Jira Work Management there is no way to see version progress like in Jira Software, on the other hand what the user  needs is to see the milestone in timeline.

If there is no solution maybe I should move to a Jira Software Project and add a pluggin like WBS Gant or BigPicture... 

Kind regards

Ro

Travis February 23, 2022

Some time after making this comment (and creating a whole bunch of projects including a Software project to test things) the ability to add 'Stories' appeared on the settings > issues > add dialog. I have then used WBS Gantt which lets you right click and convert a Story to a Milestone. I'm only by myself on this plan testing out the features, don't know if WBS Gantt would charge otherwise, not sure it would be worth it.

Rosana Casilli February 24, 2022

Hi Travis! thank for your response. Maybe we will do an evaluation on both addons to see which is better for what the PMs are looking for

Regards,

Ro

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 24, 2022

Hi @Rosana Casilli ,

I am happy to hear that you want to give a try to BigPicture or BigGantt.

It’s a comprehensive tool that supports project management in every phase, and Initial Configuration plays a key role here. 

I have prepared for you a handful of useful materials and links.

First, please find a link to BigPicture video tutorials regarding the main matters of initial configuration. I hope you find them helpful: 5 steps to getting started with BigPicture.

In addition, I recommend you attend one of the open webinars held every Wednesday and every Friday. The webinars include a one h product demo and a 30-minute Q&A session.

Then, if you need more particular help with configuring, just schedule a call with our Product Implementation expert; here you will find a link to our Calendly.

Finally, you can post further questions in this thread. I will gladly answer your questions or doubts. 

Suggest an answer