How to block issueUpdated event with plugin by using listener class

Batuhan Kandiran February 20, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have implemented a plugin that makes operation on subtasks when parent issue has updated.
I want to add a control that checks one of custom field's changes. This custom field is numberfield type.

My control will apply if new value of this custom field is bigger than old value issue update event can not fire and show a message to user like invalidInputException class messages, but i cannot block the issue updated event.

My algorithm is simply like below;

public void issueUpdated(IssueEvent event)

{

new_value and old_value are comes from changeHistoryManager object

if(new_value < old_value){

// do not complete issue updated event

// return a message to user

}

}

Could anybody help me. i will be appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2013

you cant, because you are using ondemand which does not permit 3rd party plugins to be installed. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2013

Even if you were not on OnDemand (See Andy's answer), this simply won't work.

The problem is that you have not seen the timing cycle. An issue event happens AFTER the update is applied. You simply can't "block" an action based on an event, it's too late, it's done.

There's a phrase "closing the stable door after the horse has bolted". The horse has run off. You can close the door, but it's not going to stop the horse reaching freedom (or a burger factory). It's gone.

Suggest an answer