How to assign sprints to the tasks and its sub tasks especially

yathishchandra June 27, 2019

i will explain with an example:

lets say i have created 5 sub tasks under a user story in sprint 1.

i finished 3 sub tasks in that sprint and update release versions.

now the left out two sub tasks i want to do in next sprint 2.

in this kind of situations how i shall assign sprints to this user story?

do i have to change to sprint 2 for that user story? will that effect closed sub tasks under it?(i mean sub tasks which were done ,if i see they also updated as sprint 2 ).

please help me how to tackle left out sub tasks.

thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2019

You do not put sub-tasks in sprints.  They are part of a story, and hence it's nonsense to treat them separately.  You put a story into a sprint and all the parts of that story (i.e. sub-tasks) go with it.  Jira has a reporting weakness in that it does not show sub-tasks as being in any sprint, but they are in the sprint their parent is in because they are part of the parent.

In your example, you have two sub-tasks not done at the end of sprint 1.  This means the story is not done (because they are part of the story, by definition, your story can't be done because part of it has not been done), so when you close sprint 1, it moves to sprint 2, because you still need to do it, and you said you would do it in sprint 1.  Sometimes, planning re-prioritises stuff which makes the story go to the backlog rather than sprint 2, but the default is to carry on doing things you said you would do in the next sprint.

Suggest an answer