How to apply a filter to Structure.Gantt

AJ May 31, 2019

I recently added Structure.Gantt.  I am trying to use the Structure.Gannt gadget to show a particular structure gantt in Jira and confluence.   I would like to have a filter in the structure.gantt so that it only shows a limited set of items from the structure.   Basically, I only want to show the epics/tasks belonging to one department.   How do I do that?  

4 answers

0 votes
alexeypegov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2020

Hi Akhill,

An ability to filter Gantt gadget content was added in Structure.Gantt 2.4 so now it is possible to filter the structure to include only issues of specified types.

Regards,

Alexey

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2019

Just one clarification, Akhil,

Transformations do not affect Gantt's calculations, so the visible issues would still be scheduled as if the hidden were still present in Structure.

Regards,
Egor

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2019

Hi Akhil,

You can use filter Transformations (and Quick Transformations if you need to regularly apply different filters) in Structure to hide some of the items, this would affect Gantt as well.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

AJ June 3, 2019

Can you explain a little more?   So I use structure gadget and structure.gantt gadget for my dashboards.   In structure gadget, I am able to filter and see only the departments I want to.  But in structure.gantt gadget, I do not see such a filter.   

Akhil

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2019

Thanks for the clarification, Akhil,

At the moment Structure.Gantt gadget is limited and does not have the same filter as Structure gadget has.

So, for now, there is no solution using filter in the gadget. Perhaps, using quick transformations as I sugested earlier would work. It is part of the Structure/Gantt board, and you will have to create a transformation for each department, but it is probably less work than arranging gadgets.

Regards,
Egor

AJ June 3, 2019

Can you help with how to do the quick transformations to to achieve this?  I am not very familiar with it. 

Akhil.

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2019

Hi Akhil,

In the documentation link above you can see some illustrations, but let me quickly recap. 1. Turn off Automation editing by clicking on Automation button (it should be light)
2. Click on the magnifying glass icon and select JQL from the dropdown in the new dialog.
3. Enter your JQL and press Save.
4. A new dialog will pop up, where you can name your quick transformation.

All the saved quick transformations will be available to all the users, they can access the list by clicking a funnel icon. Clicking on each individual quick transformation activates them, another click - deactivates.

Regards,
Egor

AJ June 3, 2019

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Very helpful.  It does what you said.  Unfortunately, it does not solve my problem.   I do not want folks to be coming to the structure board.  I want them to go to their Jira dashbaord where they will see the gantt gadget with their epics/tasks only. 

Akhil

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2019

I understand, Akhil,

However, currently, gadget does not have this capability, though it may change in the future.

Regards,
Egor

0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2019

Hi, 

1. You can create new structure with your own logic - Creating Your First Structure

2. You can use filters in global Structure.

AJ May 31, 2019

Thanks for your reply. 

I do not want to create new structures because there are multiple departments and hence I would need to create a structure for each of them.    

The same problem is with the second point.   If I use filter in the global structure, then it will only help with one department.   

Any other ideas?

Akhil

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2019

Can you give more information about your problem? 

it depends on your global structure and how do you filtering.

AJ June 3, 2019

The global structure I have is a structure that has epics and tasks for various departments within the company.   What I want to do is to be able to show the gantt for individual departments (since the overall structure is big).   Department is a custom field.   I want to avoid creating individual structures for each department.   When I used a structure gadget, I have an option to filter and using that I can show the structure for individual department.  But when I use the structure.gantt, there is no such option so it shows the whole structure.   Hence I was looking for a way to filter in structure.gantt. 

I hope this explains the issue.  

Akhil. 

Suggest an answer