How to add a sub-task in the next-gen project type (Agility)

Sorin Bica October 10, 2018

I'm trying the new project type, Agility, and having a few issues, but most important one is that I'm not able to add sub-tasks to a story.

46 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2019
Matt Penner August 2, 2020

This helps, but it would be great if we could create our own sub-task issue types so that one could create a bug sub-task.

We have a decent task that is broken down in sub-tasks, but there are also some bugs we are identifying.  While we can lists these as sub-tasks it muddies the idea of which are sub-tasks to be done and which are bugs.  

Creating a top-level bug issue for a task is possible too and adding it as a dependency is probably the way to go about it, but again it would make much more intuitive sense to have a bug as a 1st class child issue.

Like john gurman likes this
john gurman March 23, 2021

I agree with Matt.  We distinguish between sprint bugs (sub to the story) and bugs (top level task) found in production.  Not sure where this is on the priority list, but I would like to add my vote to it.

19 votes
Danny Huisman October 18, 2018

Please Jira, tell us when we can expect this core feature. Without it, this new way of working isn't feasible..

6 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

Hello,

You can not add a sub-task to an Agility project yet.

Romer Ventura October 18, 2018

So the Demo video shows sub-tasks in agility / next-gen projects.. Is this not in GA just yet?

Sorin Bica October 19, 2018

@JIRA should've never released this next-gen stuff if it's clearly not ready. Can't even customize Statuses. I'm all for dummying down the platform, but c'mon, you went to far. This product is garbage until further notice. 

Like # people like this
Tapan Shah October 19, 2018

Looks like it is the top of their agenda: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software.

Funny that they bought Trello, which already had sub-tasks for ages, but they thought it would be okay to bring Trello like boards in JIRA without all the essential features

Like # people like this
aparajita October 21, 2018

I have to agree that next-gen is basically unusable without subtasks. At least if there were checklists in the description of an issue (which Trello has!) we could fake it. But we don't even have that.

I hope subtasks are truly at the top of the list. An estimate of availability from Jira would be greatly appreciated.

Like # people like this
Mark Vorpagel November 16, 2018

Yeah, i disagree with both @Sorin Bica and @Aparajita Fishman. It may be unusable for them... but just go back to the other project types if that's the case. 

I actually really like the next gen simplicity.

Like Chris likes this
JH February 18, 2019

Agree with @Sorin Bica ... it is really impossible to manage projects on Next Gen. So many essential features are no longer available. How can you not allow Users to create sub-tasks?

In Next Gen, you can't even view Priorities in the Backlog or Sprint Board. Imagine having 50+ tasks in a sprint. How are we suppose keep track of all the priorities, especially now that we cannot create Sub-Tasks? (Okay besides arranging the tasks in order of important but that's really not enough).

4 votes
Richard van Putten November 14, 2018

+8 for subtask

4 votes
Tapan Shah October 10, 2018

Can someone from JIRA tell us when this will be possible

3 votes
helder.marques December 11, 2018

+100 for sub-tasks on "next-gen projects"

3 votes
Nataliia Melnykova November 15, 2018

It's really so inconvenient:

• there's no subtask for a task
  • there's no an ability to bind stack of tasks with a story
  • I can't add a rule between the tasks to make one of them a subtask
  • I can't add some nesting for some types of the tasks

So the one solution in new Jira view is to use what you have and accept the mess.

3 votes
jo November 13, 2018

+1 for sub-tasks

3 votes
Andrew Thompson November 12, 2018

+1 for pls hurry with this feature (and following for when announced) - thx!

2 votes
shondra.mccray February 7, 2019

🗣add sub-tasks please!! 

2 votes
Jiri Solek February 7, 2019

Really Critical Issue. As an workaround we are using linked issues, but its has and backlog Board has no use :-( 

I am going to migrate project in to the old template

2 votes
Pete Rodgers January 16, 2019

any news on when? whats the hold up?

2 votes
Julia December 12, 2018

Ditto on subtasks availability being critical to next gen template.

2 votes
Christopher Kampmeier December 11, 2018

Switched back to classic Scrum project template in order to get sub-task support, but then found out that the roadmap feature is available only via next-gen projects. Sigh.

2 votes
wmontoya December 7, 2018

+1 Please HURRY UP!

2 votes
Jan Reinberg December 5, 2018

Gimme Sub-Tasks as a christmas present please...we are start a new project at the beginning of next year and i desperately need sub-tasks for it

Vinícius Cassol December 5, 2018

Same for me! Dear Santa, please help us!!!

Like Brad Homer likes this
Brad Homer December 6, 2018

Ditto!  Santa!  Please!!!

2 votes
John Curtis October 30, 2018

Does anyone have a workaround from a process perspective without a subtask?

Romer Ventura October 30, 2018

I think the only posible work around, would be to make that task/story an epic. Or linking the issues, but i feel like linking the issues is soooooo waterfall...

Like shondra.mccray likes this
shondra.mccray February 7, 2019

ugh I was hoping this wasn't the case but that's how I'm working around not having sub-tasks 

1 vote
Josh Roberts May 27, 2019

Not sure if any one is still watching, but it seems as though the road map still says Subtasks are coming. However, I found that if you go to the next gen project settings and add an issue type, Subtask is listed there. Add it, then when you go to your User Stories you can now add a child issue which will default to subtask type. Probably not what everybody is looking for, but a step in the right direction.

Marek Bugiel May 27, 2019

Great news!

Thanks Josh!

Jan Reinberg May 28, 2019

Unfortunatels i can´t confirm that. When i go to project settings the only available options are "Epic", "Bug", "story", "task". Adding doesn´t show any other option. do i miss something?

1 vote
Anthony Powell March 3, 2019

I'm using both next gen and old. I must admit the sub-task option is required for managing the project. The next-gen projects just look an absolute mess after a couple of months.

Reminds me of trello boards. In Trello, the boards really only have a life time of 12 months before they become an unusable mess. At that point, a (new) board would be created and the old board would be ignored.. With the next-gen projects I can see the same attitude coming out from the team. 

Sub-tasks are a must for bug tracking of new features. Yes you can "Link" them, but in practice the testers do not do that. Thinking about this... maybe a hybrid option could be made available. eg

• from the parent card you can "create linked bug" or "create linked task". This button would create a task/bug and link it automatically to the parent card.
  • Then have a check box on the board view to toggle the visibility of the linked bugs/task etc. Or have a collapsed view... 

I love the road map feature, but still I'm very close to shutting down my next-gen projects and moving back to the old project type.  I can't wait much longer for this feature. 

1 vote
Daniel Schwörer February 12, 2019

+1 linked issues can't be the permanent workaround

1 vote
Manoj Bandara February 8, 2019

Sub task is a MUST. I ma really disappointed about lack of certain features when started using next-gen project.

1 vote
Cyril Bouthors February 5, 2019

Why is this question marked as answered?

Deleted user February 7, 2019

Because the first person answered it (read: you can't). That's the answer as things stand currently.

1 vote
Dave Yost December 19, 2018

Next Gen needs to get its act together.  Sub Tasks is such a critical part of planning.  This is awful.  Atlassian needs to get their act together.  This is an MVP feature.  

1 vote
Abhinav Gujjar December 13, 2018

Yo! Just does not work without sub tasks. Deleting the "Next-gen" project and going back to classic.

1 vote
Douglas Cavalheiro December 11, 2018

+1 for sub-tasks on "next-gen projects"

1 vote
Pete Rodgers December 2, 2018

+ 1 Sub tasks. 

When are they expected? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events