How to add Comments in a JQL statement

Stephen Miko April 18, 2024

I have several Filters that include a list of Epics or Stories in the issuekey.  Eg:

...... issuekey in (TST-01, TST-02 TST-03........TST-10).  

Users want a Filter that pulls several of these at a time.  The number of issuekeys for a given pull varies by user and by time.  So the users will pull out the issuekeys that don't pertain to the given requirement.  Eg ......issukey in (TST-02, TST-04, TST-06, TST-08).

I want to add Comments to the saved JQL filter to define each issuekey.  Eg:

- - TST-01 = Open Defects;  TST-02 = Open SubTasks;   TST-03 = Open Stories; etc

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

Hello @Stephen Miko 

I am unclear what you are trying to achieve. Can you try to provide more information?

A JQL statement is a set of criteria that is compared to issues in order to select matching issues. You can't add comments to a JQL statement, like you would add comments to programming code.

You can fill in a Description for the saved filter, but you can't insert explanatory comments into the JQL itself.

I don't understand what you are trying to do when you say you want to "define" an issue key? What is the problem that you are trying to solve in this case?

Are you trying to select issues based on more generalized criteria; i.e "Open Defects", rather than specifying individual issue keys?

Stephen Miko April 19, 2024

You answered my question with: 

"You can't add comments to a JQL statement, like you would add comments to programming code."

I will keep it in the filter Description.  Thanks for your prompt response.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

You're welcome.

If your question has been adequately addressed please consider clicking the Accept Answer button.

1 vote
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

If you're looking to add information into the filter that won't be part of the query but just provides additional information about what each part of the query means, there is not a way to do that.

The closest thing you could do would be to have that information in the filter name, but I think that would be very cumbersome.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events