How to Filter "Other" Boards' Sprints When Project Shared in Multiple Scrum Boards?

OSS NAS October 15, 2018

I would like to set up a couple of scrum boards in JIRA that share some common projects to facilitate teams that are working on different initiatives but may need to make changes to common systems.  But I don't want to see the "other" sprints in the backlogs.

Here's an example of what I mean.

There are 4 projects set up:

• Project One - contains stories for initiative One
  • Project Two - contains stories for initiative Two
  • Project Three - maps to a software application that has tasks related to both Project One and Project Two
  • Project Four - maps to a software application that has tasks related to Project One only

I have set up two Scrum boards:

• Project One Board: contains Project One, Project Three and Project Four
  • Project Two Board: contains Project Two and Project Three

I have created a sprint for each board with mutually exclusive tasks from each other.  When I view the backlog for either Scrum board, I see both sprints listed (either in draft or as active depending on the state of the sprint).

I expect to see the Project Three issues in both backlogs as that is common.  I don't expect to see the "other" board's sprint when viewing a board.  Is there a way to filter out sprints that do not belong to the board?

1 answer

0 votes
OSS NAS October 18, 2018

For future reference, I found a workaround solution. By adding components to all the projects that identify the boards and assigning tasks to those components we want them to visible on the corresponding board and then updating the boards' filter queries to include the appropriate component, not only are the issues filtered, but the other boards' sprints are as well.

It's a bit convoluted, but it seems to achieve the result we are looking for.  Because the issues associated with other boards' sprints are hidden from "this" board, the sprints are also hidden.

Suggest an answer