How does the "WAS <Status> ON" operator work for future dates

Brian Triplett March 19, 2018

I am preparing a dashboard for an upcoming project and I wanted to set up a dashboard with issue counts. I wanted to get all currently open issues as well as issue open at the start of the project. I was using:

created < "2018/03/21" AND status was Open on "2018/03/21"

to get the issues open at the start of the project. Note that 2018/03/21 is two days in the future.

I also simply queried all open issues:

status = Open

I fully expected these results to be the same but they are not (status=Open has more issues). All issues should have been created before 2018/03/21 because it hasn't happened yet. I also thought the "ON" operator should get all the open issues today.

I'm guessing there is something wrong with my usage of the WAS ... ON operator.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2018

What is your business requirement? Then query "status was Open in the future" does not make any sense. Nobody knows the future(basically).

Brian Triplett March 19, 2018

I'm just trying to get it setup for a project that starts Wednesday. I can certainly wait until then. I expected it to either not work at all or have some behavior equivalent to "ON OR BEFORE". As it stands now the behavior seems inconsistent.

Maybe it should just error out to say "You can't query on future dates" or similar?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2018

I guess it will work on Wednesday but not now.

Brian Triplett March 20, 2018

I just tried this again and I limited it to today.

So why would

Status = Open

and 

Status was Open on "2018/03/20" <- Today

Give different results?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events