How do you make Required/mandatory fields only for 1 project?

Dylan_E_Adams February 2, 2020

Using Jira cloud, but how do you create required fields that only affect 1 project and not all of the projects in our group? 

3 answers

6 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2020

I typically prefer to make the field required associated with a specific transition, e.g. the Create. This is done by editing the workflow and adding a Validator to the transition(s) where you wish the have the field updated.

1. project settings > workflow , edit the workflow associated with the Issuetype(s) desired.
  2. click on the transition and the on Validators.
  3. add the “field required” Validator and choose the field.
  4. add an error message if desired.
  5. add a screen that has the field you wish to be updated. If you don’t have a screen already defined you will need to add on.
  6. publish the workflow.
Matthias July 15, 2022

Awesome thanks!!

Now I just need to figure out how to trigger a screen with my mandatory fields lol

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2022

@Matthias , easy enough if you are using CMP...

• go to Issues section under Administration 
  • select Screens 
  • click Add screen
  • give it a name and description 
  • Locate the new screen and click the ellipses and choose Configure 
  • add desired fields to display on screen

now you can reference the screen in your workflow transitions 

Nikhat Karel September 13, 2022

Awesome! have been trying to apply some mandatory fields to one particular project and was not able to. This is really helpful.

2 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

@Dylan_E_Adams 

In next-gen project, the fields created are specific to that project.

So, I assume you want to make the fields as mandatory/required for a Classic project.

You can create a new field configuration and use it in your project so that it'll not affect other projects. You mark the fields as required in it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-editing-and-deleting-a-field-configuration-844500796.html

0 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

Hi @Dylan_E_Adams 

Are you using a classic project or a Next gen project?

Suggest an answer