How do I invite individual contractors to a specific Jira project

Christina Gheorghe July 22, 2019

For some of our projects we employ contractors. I would like to set up projects so that all the regular staff can access all projects but contractors can only access the project they are working on. I've searched for existing documentation on this but it's all older and Jira has changed in the past year. I have created a test user and tried various ways of doing it but no luck. Can someone provide me with steps on how to do this or links to any relevant documentation? Thank you!

1 answer

1 vote
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Hello @Christina Gheorghe 

We also have external users on different projects. What you can do is:

Step 1: Create a group "Project A external clients" ( or whatever you want, but keep the projects name + something)" 

Step 2: Add in the group the clients you want to see the project.

Step 3: Check the project permission scheme and add the group to the "Browse Project" permission ( and if you want the group to have permission for something else).

If you have 3 different clients (or more) for 3 different projects ( or more ) make sure that all the projects are using different permission scheme. 

If you have any questions, glad to help. :) 

Christina Gheorghe July 23, 2019

Thanks Elena. I actually tried that but when I logged in as a test user I could still see all the projects.
I feel like there is a setting I'm missing. When I invite the person I invite them as normal but add them to the group as part of the invitation. Am I missing something there?

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Verify the groups list. And see if there is checked the "Access to product" / "product administration". As I see from mi groups lists, only the admin groups have access to these 2. Maybe there is the problem. 

Note:

If you have personalized permission schemes for each project, and in browse project you add only the groups you want, if you add a new user, none of the projects should be displayed if the user hasn't been added to any group.  But if you say that you verified this, maybe the problem is from access. 

Let me know if it can be fixed from there or not.

Christina Gheorghe July 25, 2019

I got it to work finally. Thanks for your help!

Like elenushhh likes this
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2019

You're welcome! :) 

Suggest an answer