How do I get Create Linked Issue in Jira Software Project?

PO SixOMC August 20, 2018

Service Desk has this great and simple way to create Linked Issues of different types from the Edit screen.

Jira Software projects are missing this feature for some  reason and though there is a feature request for ist, is still in the voting phase and I need it now. Working with Subtaks in no solution as these cannot be scheduled independently and are not even shown on the Scrum-Type boards.

There must be workarounds. If you want to have the whole workflow from idea to software in Jira, you need to create indepentendly scheduable Tasks for Epic/Story breakdown and stuff on a daily basis. Several ways come to mind, which one is most easily implemented and has affordable costs/plugin requirements?

• Create user-defined buttons in the Edit Screen and script them to create a linked issue?
  • Define a transition that creates a linked issue?
  • Somehow change the behaviour of the overall Create-Button in the Menu bar?
  • Create somethin akin to the Create Sub-Task-Funktion  in the default view of all Issues or its Action Menu that creates a new issue and links it to the one being shown?

If someone solved the problem for themselves, I'd appreciate if you shared how.
Best regards

Silvia

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

@Marcel Plomp (inactive) and all,

I recommend you vote/watch this issue - JSWCLOUD-13625 .

i have placed the Atlassian explanation below FWIW. Yes this has been open for a long time but I certainly wouldn’t want to break a fundamental feature in favor of Create linked issue between SW projects.

This feature is not yet available for Software projects because it does not allow the option to not clone Sprint data.
This deficiency previously existed for the Clone feature, which caused many customers considerable inconvenience, and was resolved in Feb 2016 and tracked at JSW-6541.
Project types in JIRA without this requirement/limitation currently offer the Create Linked Issue feature, at this time that is Service Desk and Business.

We see this issue as a valid Suggestion however we cannot provide any guidance at this time as to when, or if, we'll be implementing it.

DavidP July 20, 2021

The 'Create linked issue' option seems to have been removed from the new view (i.e. you need to click 'See the old view' to reveal the option)... was this by design?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

@DavidP , In the newer UI, like most things, the Create linked issue has moved. See example…

D2B9802E-A4E0-4FEF-A158-A2AF9CD89EF9.jpeg

Like # people like this
DavidP July 21, 2021

Well there you go, I've learned something new today - thanks!

Baruch Lerner August 2, 2021

How can I change the "Create linked issue" Screen? Is there an option to do that?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

@Baruch Lerner , you cannot change that.

Baruch Lerner August 2, 2021

@Jack Brickey I understood that I can add fields to the "Create linked issue" only if I make them "Required" in that same project... thats the only workaround I found here.

A. Even though the 'Assigned' field is required, it doesn't appear in my "Create linked issue screen" - how do I fix it?

B. I succeeded in adding the 'Priority' field, but it shows at the buttoom of the "Create linked issue screen" - how can I change its location?

Карпов Александр January 13, 2022

I didn't find the button "+Create linked issue" @Jack Brickey 

Does it work in Jira cloud?
1 vote
Kevin Broadey February 5, 2020

I definitely don't have "Create linked issue" in a project created from the "Software project" template.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2018

@PO SixOMC, Jira does not have this function it is only on JSD. There is a similar capability using Clone for JSW.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2018

Hi Silvia,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

You have Create linked issue option under the ellipsis in the issue view in Jira Cloud, or under More if you are on Jira Server.

Jira.pngMore.png

PO SixOMC August 21, 2018

Hi Michael,

thanks for replying.

Yes, in a Service desk project, it looks like this. More or less, you seem to have some plugins we don't have installed.

in a software project, the Create linked issue entry isn't there. See JSWSERVER-13625 and JSWCLOUD-13625

So, is your screenshot from a Service Desk or Business Project or did you somehow manage to get this by customizing your Jira installation?

Best Silvia

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2018

@PO SixOMCBoth screenshots are from Jira Software projects, and taken from the issue view screen. Jira Server has one app that have added more menu options, but have nothing to do with the Create linked issue.

Jira User February 14, 2019

Mikael - Sorry to tell you this, but the option is not available elsewhere but Service Desk.

So - how do you manage to gain this option then?

It's not by default ... and I've turned the option on, and made sure I have the user right. Trust us, we're not beginners wanting this feature :)

// Andreas

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2019

@Jira User Creating linked issues is a Jira Core functionality, it is not just limited to Jira Service Desk, see Linking issues. Business projects that the guide refers to is a Jira Core project, and if you have Jira Software you have access to both Business projects and Software projects. The screenshots I included are both from Jira Software instances, the one on the left is from a cloud instance that does not have any apps added to it.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2019

Just to clarify, linked issues are available in Jira Software, but only if you are in a project that was created using one of the three Business Project templates. In a project created using one of the three Software Project templates you do not have the Create linked issues option. The only way to do it there is the two steps of creating the issue and then use the link option.

Like Stefano Coletta likes this
Statare Brands November 22, 2019

Hello, 

My problem is that when I create a linked issue (using Create linked issue) from Service Desk (server), I only see projects in Service Desk. I cannot see the projects defined in Jira Software (server). 

If I use the Link functionality in Service Desk (server) I can see all my projects in Jira Software (server). 

Am I missing something in my setup? 

franco.andrao March 9, 2020

Hello,
I have the same problem. Does anyone resolve it?

Emy Jamalian September 14, 2020

so do you have create link issue in software project?

Marcel Plomp (inactive) September 25, 2020

I just created a Software Project (Scrum) based on template provided by JIRA.

• Created an issue in the project
  • Checked the menu option for "Create linked issue">> Not available
  • Change the Project Type from Software to Business
  • Checked the menu option for "Create linked issue">> Option is available

So my conclusion is that the option is only available in the project type Business....which absolutely does not make any sense as most Business users also use the functionality provided by the Jira Software. Especially the Kanban with Backlog functionality....which has proven to be a great feature for the business !!

Questions remains: Why is this useful feature "Create linked issue" not available in JIRA Software as well?

Like # people like this
Gosforth October 16, 2020

Do not make people wrong. Jira Software does not have 'created linked issue'. I've just verified that.

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question