How do I display a different field name on the view screen?

Brian June 26, 2019

Hello,

I currently have a project utilizing Jira Service Desk.  For my service desk form, I've conveniently used the "Display Name" feature of Service desk to change my field name of "JSD Text Field Question 1" to "Business Email".  To the users of portal, the form asks for their "Business Email".  To the service desk team members that have to work the incoming tickets they only see "JSD Text Field Question 1" as the field name on the issue view screen.  I've got about 15 questions on my form that share the problem so it's tough for the team members to know what questions the answers are answering.  I hope this makes sense.

I have some experience with Scriptrunner and using the formField.setLabel() function but unfortunately that overrides my "Display Name" and does not show up on the view screen.

Any ideas on how to show the Service Desk Display Name on the issue view screen?

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Alexey Matveev I'm tagging you two since you seem to answer all the questions that I look up.  Surely you must of come across this problem. :)

label custom field names.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2019

First of all, behaviours don't work on view screen, only on create/edit/transition, so to achieve what you want you'd need something different than behaviours (probably something including js, but im not really sure).

Secondly, it feels like a weird thing to display different field name everywhere, why not to name it properly from the get-go?

Brian August 22, 2019

Hi Ilya, thank you for your reply.  I just saw this now.

The reason why I don't want to name it properly from the get-go is because I want to limit the amount of custom fields I have.  I currently have over 250 projects and our library of custom fields is growing and growing.

I want to reuse some custom fields for multiple projects so if I can re-label them that makes things easier.

Like # people like this
mssanjay April 16, 2020

Hi Brian, Were you able to resolve this behavior in view screen to show the Display Name instead of Custom field Name?

I totally agree to your point on Reusing the custom fields  instead of creating many new fields.

Thanks

Sanjay

Anna Andersson June 4, 2020

Hi!

We encountered the exact same issue, have you been able to resolve this? :)

Daniel Garcia July 21, 2020

I don't find it weird at all.

Like # people like this
Helter Skelter May 4, 2022

So do I

0 votes
Alexey Sorochkin December 6, 2022

Any solutions for this one?

0 votes
Graham Twine _Slm_ December 18, 2020

I think this is a totally pausable request given I have over 200 projects and some departments demand the impossible and I have silly requests link please rename Components to Projects.

If I look at this request from their point of view why can they not have the label they want.

Ok I am being a little over dramatic using Components but the principle of different labels is quite reasonable.

Suggest an answer