How do I control fields based on Issue Type, regardless of project?

Emerson Charles Smith July 9, 2018

I want to set which fields should appear based on the selected Issue Type, and don't want to have to set which fields should appear based on which project I'm in. I want the fields for each issue type to be the same across all projects. 

I've done the following:

1. Created some new custom fields.
  2. Created Screens for each Issue Type I'd like to control
  3. Created Screen Schemes for each Issue Type and associated them to the appropriate Screen (not really sure why I need this step?)
  4. Created Issue Type Screen Schemes for each of my Issue Types

I don't know how to get the fields I created and assigned in steps 1 and 2 above to actually appear for each of my projects when I am creating new issues!!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

The key part is that you want to create one ITSS and then configure each project to use that same ITSS. 

In that ITSS you have a mapping from the issue type X to a screen scheme usually named "X Screen Scheme". That screen scheme then has a mapping to one, two or three screens for creating, editing and viewing issues of type X.

Emerson Charles Smith July 12, 2018

This is it! I've spent hours searching these forums, even finding the exact same question I have, and this is the key right here. Thank you so much!

Emerson Charles Smith July 16, 2018

My issue now is that JIRA automatically adds a new Issue Type Scheme, new Screens, new Screen Schemes, and new Issue Type Screen Scheme for every new project I create, which defeats the purpose of using one ITSS. Do you know how I can turn that feature off?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2018

That should only happen if you're using the default schemes. 

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

When you create a project, select the the Create with Shared Configuration link at the bottom. Not as obvious as it could be I think. But you can't turn it off

Emerson Charles Smith July 19, 2018

Yep, I figured that out. :) Thank you, Matt. You've been most helpful!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

Glad to help. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

When you create custom fields you define which issue types and projects they apply to and can also designate which which screens they appear on.  See 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-custom-field-776636423.html 

Emerson Charles Smith July 10, 2018

I don't want to assign fields to projects, I want to assign fields to issue types and that's it. Your link doesn't work by the way.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2018

Now you just need to set that Issue Type Screen Scheme on each of your projects:

1. Enter the project configuration section.
  2. Click on the Issue Type Screen Scheme currently set.
  3. Click on the button on the rop-right corner and select 'Use a different Issue Type Screen Scheme and set the one you've already created.

Repeat those steps for each project, and you'll get what you need.

Hope it helps.

Emerson Charles Smith July 10, 2018

But then all of my issue types use the same screen! I want to be able to associate fields with a screen, then a screen with an issue type. That's it. Then regardless of what project I'm in, I want all the same fields to appear based on the issue type selection

I understand this make take some convoluted way to set this up, but what I've typed above is exactly what I want. 

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2018
Emerson Charles Smith July 11, 2018

I've already seen those two pages and they are a bit too convoluted for what I'm trying to accomplish. I run into an issue when I get to the step to configure Issue Type Screen Schemes. Since I can only associate a project with one Issue Type Screen Scheme, how am I supposed to use the same screen for each issue regardless of project, without setting up seperate screen schemes and issue type screen schemes for each of my projects? 

Suggest an answer