How do I clean up the backup after upgrading atlassian products?

Gintohewoo April 28, 2019

I have just upgraded my instances of jira and confluence and in the process of upgrading them, the process created a backup of the home directory.  Now that the upgrade is complete, where are those backed up files and how can I clean them up to recover disk space?

2 answers

0 votes
JiraJared
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

Depends if you're using Windows or Linux (and using default home paths)

They will be stored in your Home Directory:

If Windows: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\application-data\[Jira/Confluence]

If Linux: /var/atlassian/application-data/[Jira/Confluence]

Gintohewoo April 29, 2019

What folder/jar/zip file name format would the "backup" be stored under, as I logged into both and looked at the installation home and the app home and nothing is jumping out at me as an upgrade backup file/folder.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

Hi @Gintohewoo 

If you are sure that you do not need them, you can proceed to clear

Gintohewoo April 28, 2019

proceed to clear what?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2019

Hi @Gintohewoo 

Apologies for my incomplete answer! It should be as a zip file in the 'parent directory' location of the home directory.

Gintohewoo April 29, 2019

So if I do not see any *.gz files in the <application-home>, is it safe to assume that they were cleaned up during the upgrade process?

If not, does anyone know the file naming convention used for the backup zip file?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2019

@Gintohewoo  , Do you not see any backup related file in the parent directory of <application-home> ? (not inside <application-home>)

I think the naming convention was the "home directory name".zip/gz .. But i have to cross check..

Gintohewoo May 19, 2019

I do not.

Suggest an answer