How can I bulk upload JIRA stories with sub tasks?

Jithin Mathew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

Hi. I have previously bulk uploaded CSV of just stories to a particular Epic. I'm wanting to assign sub-tasks to those stories in the same import file, i.e create a story & sub tasks at the same time with the same bulk upload CSV.

Is this feasible? Something Similar to the below.

JIRA.png

2 answers

2 votes
Melo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2024

Hi @Jithin Mathew. Welcome to the community!

Yes, for importing issues into Jira Cloud using a CSV file, specifically focusing on setting up parent-child relationships for stories and sub-tasks, here are the essentials and the links to the full Atlassian documentation:

• Issue ID: A unique identifier for each issue in your CSV file, crucial for referencing and establishing relationships between issues.

• Parent ID: Used to define a parent-child relationship between issues. Sub-tasks or child issues should have the Issue ID of their parent issue in this column, linking them together.

Detailed guidance on preparing your CSV file and the import process, including examples, can be found in Atlassian's documentation:

1. Import data from a CSV file - Atlassian Support: Provides comprehensive instructions on the CSV import process, including how to map parent-child relationships. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

2. CSV import - Parent-child mapping - Atlassian Documentation: Offers specific advice on setting up parent-child relationships between issues during the CSV import. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/csv-import-parent-child-mapping-1096095688.html

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Melo

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2024

Hi @Jithin Mathew 

All rows will need an Issue ID. Sub-tasks will then need a Parent ID, which should match the parent's Issue ID.

---

The setup should be like this:

Issue Type   Issue ID  Parent ID  Summary
 Task  1    Task 1
 Sub-task  2  Sub-task 1
 Sub-task  3 1 Sub-task 2

---

Then the Sub-tasks should upload in the correct parent :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events