How can I bring an epic back in the backlog view after I "mark[ed] as done"?

melindachao
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 16, 2019

In the backlog view, I accidentally marked an epic as done. How do I bring it back?

I've already marked the status of the epic back to "on deck", but it's still not showing up.mark as done epic missing.png

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

Hi @melindachao

Epics have two statuses - the workflow statuses and the epic's status - it's the latter which controls what shows on the Epics Panel.

If you're a Site Admin:

1. Go to that Epic's issue detail view
  2. Click the Admin drop-down (one of the grey buttons where More, etc is)
  3. Choose Add field and add the field 'Epic Status' and press 'Edit field'
  4. Now on your screen, edit the status to In Progress or To Do
  5. Refresh your board and it should have appeared

If you're not a Site Admin - or you don't want Epic Status on your view screen / have to edit the screen to remove it again - then here's an alternative:

1. Search for the Epic(s) you wish to reactivate in the issue search (even if it's just one)
  2. Choose Tools > Bulk Change (top-right of issue search page)
  3. Select the Epic(s) you wish to edit and choose Edit Issues as the operation
  4. Search on this page for Epic Status and change it back to In Progress or To Do
  5. Follow the rest of the screens to bulk-edit 
  6. Refresh your board

^ This second option worked when I tested it - let me know if you run into any issues or if this doesn't fix your issue.

Ste

melindachao
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 16, 2019

Thank you, @Ste!

JERRY BARESIC
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 24, 2020

Great detailed explanation and answer here.  This worked!  There are many other poor answers that are either poorly explained or flat out incorrect.   The bulk update instructions are spot on and got me the EPIC to present themselves back onto the Backlog page!  Thank you!!

Like # people like this
Drishti Maharaj February 16, 2022

Hi @Ste , just wanted to let you know that this is such a good explanation. Had an issue now and followed your steps and it was resolved so well. Thank  you.

Like Ste likes this

Suggest an answer