Hide groups, so it cant be assigned to it

Mo Saidane November 25, 2022

Hi Guys,

I want to hide some groups, so tickets cant be assigned to that group.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Wkr,

Mo

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I don't really understand the question.  One of the great things about Jira is that it does not allow you to use the terrible anti-pattern of assigning an issue to a group (because it's always a disaster in real life)

So, the question is, how have you botched an "assign to group" function?

Without knowing how you are doing that, there's not a lot we can tell you.

0 votes
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Hi @Mo Saidane 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

What do you mean a ticket can't be assigned to a group? If you're using the native "Assignee" field to assign tickets, then you are only able to assign an individual user to a particular ticket. 

Can you further explain what you mean because by design — you cannot assign a single Jira issue (ticket) to multiple users (i.e. a group of people) at a time.

Best regards,
Hamza

Mo Saidane November 25, 2022

Hi Hamza,

I don't want that users can assign their tickets to thatspecific group.
I removed the groups in AD but it still showing in JIRA (with no members).

With kind regards,
Mo

Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Hi again @Mo Saidane 

I go back to my first comment — Jira is designed in a way that you cannot assign tickets to a group (of users). You can't assign a ticket to multiple users to the built-in assignee field within a Jira ticket. Jira doesn't allow assigning to groups.

So unless you have some type of custom field or workaround, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Can you provide me with a screenshot of what you're seeing / referring to? Also, what do you mean by "AD"? 

Best regards,
Hamza

Mo Saidane November 28, 2022

Hi Hamza,

AD means Active Directory.

Our Jira (users/groups) are sync from AD.

I will provide you a screenshot today.

Wkr,Mo

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

We don't really need a screenshot, it might not actually tell us what we need to know.

Can you explain how you are "assigning to a group"?  Is it a custom field you have added?  If so, what type is it?  (Select list, group picker, etc?)

Mo Saidane November 29, 2022

Hi,

like this

aaa.png

The yellow group-names are removed from Active Directory but still showing in JIRA.

Wkr,

mo

Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2022

Hi @Mo Saidane 

Currently, I don’t think there’s a way to set a filter on the group picker field that returns and displays only a subset of groups that you want the users to select.

There is an open feature suggestion for this functionality that you can vote and/or watch:

I also realize, in one of your earlier comments, you stated that

I removed the groups in AD but it still showing in JIRA (with no members)

I wonder if the deleted groups from AD were not removed from your JIRA application post-synchronisation. 

Regardless, if you have already removed the group along with its users or don’t need it, it may be worthwhile to check within Administration > User Management and see if the group you no longer want is there (or not). 

Suggest an answer