Getting (400) Bad Request when cloning an issue with a parent card

Kristine Lurane April 16, 2024

I've set up a super simple automation, with a manual trigger, to clone a card to another board. The automation works completely fine when the card being cloned doesn't have a parent.

If there is a parent card, however, the automation comes back with the error message "Error creating issue, Bad Request (400)".

I've tried this on another board, also cloning to a completely different board, and the same thing happened. I believe Jira recently changed epics/parent cards slightly, and I'm wondering if that could be contributing to this. I've never come across this issue before.

There are also a couple of people who have recently commented about a similar issue here

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Hi Kristine,

Can you share a screenshot of your rule? 

Kristine Lurane April 16, 2024

Hi. Here you go. The "additional fields" also includes the JSON that Jira automatically suggest when you choose to clone something (below the image for reference), but I've tried it with and without that, and it makes no difference to the issue.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 155933.png
JSON, in case you'd like to check:

{
"update": {
"labels": [
{
"add": "cloned"
}
],
"issuelinks": [
{
"add": {
"type": {
"name": "Cloners"
},
"outwardIssue": {
"key": "{{issue.key}}"
}
}
}
]
}
}

Phillip C April 16, 2024
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Can you also share the Audit Log for when you run it?

Kristine Lurane April 17, 2024

Here you go: 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 112834.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

Okay, lets do this. Click the create button and then enter the data in the screen that matches the fields that you have in the rule. Don't add any values to any field except the fields you are using the in the rule for the Clone part. See if you can create or if there is an error or additional required fields. 

Created the card with no problems, linked as it should, etc.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 114251.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

Now, maybe manually clone the issue and see if that works? Or is that what you did? 

Just did that and manually cloning it to the same board works fine, if that's what you meant?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

Yes. Let's do one final thing and if that doesn't work, then it's probably time for a support ticket. Instead of doing a Clone action just do a Create Issue action and populate the fields as a Copy from Trigger Issue. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2024

Hi @Kristine Lurane 

Just to confirm, would you post an image of your entire Clone Issue action, perhaps using a scrolling browser, image capture?

Until we see that...this symptom could be reported when:

• The edit issue action is trying to set the field twice, once with the dropdown list and once in the JSON.  From what you describe, it appears you are trying to add an issue link twice, and that is not supported by the REST API functions for issue create.
  • Someone has made a field required and that is not set during the issue create

Kind regards,
Bill

Kristine Lurane April 18, 2024

John's last suggestion worked! Thank you very much for your help. 

For the sake of anyone else who might be struggling, however, I'll answer the last questions as well: 

1.) I tried the automation without the JSON and got the same result.
2.) Creating the issue tested the second theory (I also checked this in the settings for both boards) - there are no required fields set on either board.

Thank you again.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2024

Great! Glad that worked. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

Kristine, I am glad you got something that worked, and...

As there have been multiple reports in the community of this symptom for the last couple of weeks (i.e., 400 error with the Clone Issue action), I hypothesize something has changed in the automation engine, the REST API, etc. that is causing this.  Hopefully the Atlassian team is looking into the various reports.

Like Kristine Lurane likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events