Get Group ID in Scriptrunner (Jira 8.20.13 Data Center)

Adam Laskowski December 13, 2022

Hi everyone,

is it possible to get the group ID via scripts? I am using the groupManager and got some groups but the group object (com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.groups) does not have a method/getter for receiving the id. 

When i select the group in Jira, the URL does not even show an ID, only the name.

Is there an alternative? Do groups even have IDs?

Thanks a lot!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2022

Groups do have an id in the database, but the code doesn't use it.  Why do you want the group ID?  What are you planning to do with it?

Adam Laskowski December 23, 2022

Thank for the reply! 

I need it for a custom REST endpoint. Just for the case that the groupname might change so it still works with the unique groupId. I recognized changing the groupname is not possible anyways so i am probably fine using the names.

0 votes
Aleksandra Leesment November 15, 2023

How do we get group IDs? My requests only return group name. I tried using groupID but it didn't work

Adam Laskowski November 15, 2023

Hi @Aleksandra Leesment 

i was not able to receive he group IDs. For my custom REST endpoint with scriptrunner, i just used the group names. 

As mentioned above the code doesn't use the group IDs. If you need the ID from the database then this article may help you: https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/database-user-and-group-tables/

Best wishes

Adam

Suggest an answer