Free mechanism for automated log work JIRA.

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2021

Hi.

Free mechanism for automated log work JIRA. Any ideas?

Best Regards,

1 answer

0 votes
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi Viktar,

What do you mean with automated exactly?

This free app seems to have a timer: eZee Worklog 

You can also use the Marketplace search to find apps suiting your needs. There is a filter for "free" apps: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=server&moreFilters=free&query=log%20work

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2021

Are you serious about this?

Automatically - this means that I press Start - the time starts to go, I press Stop - the time is fixed. Like the Automated Log Work for JIRA plugin, but only for free.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

I think Charlie’s question was valid. One persons definition of automatic may not align with another’s. In any event the free option he offered seems to address your refined requirements so I would have a look at that

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2021

refined

what?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

"Refined" usually means "go into more detail, so we can have a better idea of what we are doing"

You have explained exactly what you are looking for (click start/stop, time is logged as the gap between those events), and I think that is clear.

But you question what Charlie asked without answering it (even though later Charlie gave us a good option which matches your need).  That's what Jack is trying to "refine".  

From my point of view, "automated work log" is, as Charlie suggests, very unclear.  Yes, there's the timer option you want, but I've worked at places where "automated work log" means "time from when you swipe into the office to when you swipe out", "assume that because I've got 4 issues open today, log 1.5 hours per issue", "log 1 day per day on one issue other than holidays and sickness", "log 4 hours on X, 4 hours on Y, unless I actively choose to log something different", and, and, and .

Basically, your question could have been describing a lot of things, and Charlie was asking you to clarify which one it might be, so they didn't give you a completely inappropriate answer.

Like # people like this
Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2021

@Jack Brickey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks, sorted it out. Unfortunately, the customer requested this particular functionality for their project.

We need a mechanism. You press the In Progress button in Workflow - time goes by. Press Done - the time is recorded. We have the Automated Log Work for JIRA plugin installed in the JIRA Service Desk, and for the number of agents, this is a cheap solution. But in JIRA for 500 people, this is a pretty substantial price. Therefore, we need an option that is either cheaper or free. Perhaps there is something that works at the Workflow level in the post functions or something? What do you think?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

I recall that there was a free chrome extension that actually worked like you described. However for the life of me I cannot recall what it was. If I can dig it up I will report back here.

Like Tony Montana likes this
Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2021

@Jack Brickey Do you mean that there are free plugins and scripts that work like Automated Log Work for JIRA?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

Well don’t quote me on that. I need to go find what I was referring to and assess if it would meet your needs.

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2021

@Jack Brickey you failed)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2021

LOL…it isn’t the first time. 😂

Suggest an answer