Field containing other fields unique to that field for purchase requests

DarkSideMilk November 9, 2016

So I am looking for a way if it exists to use JIRA Service Desk as a semi-simple order request form.

I have played with the JIRA Service Desk Extension add-on which offers almost what I'm looking for, but it's multi-level structure doesn't map a parent field and its children to each other.

Let me make this more visual. I want to be able to have multiple "Products" in a order request, with each product containing the same set of fields. Ideally it would be something like

How many unique products? (let's say they put in 2 then 2 product boxes pop up, a add another product button would work too)
Product #1:
    Product Name:
    Quantity:
    Part #:
    Cost:

Product #2:
    Product Name:
    Quantity:
    Part #:
    Cost:

As of now I could make a field for each individual field like Product1-Name and Product2-Name. But I would much rather not have to have individual fields like that and have it be more of a structure that is extendable and easier to maintain.

So I'm wondering if there's a built-in way to do this, an add-on that already exists that I haven't found, or if I need to start creating my own add-on to make this happen. I could build this in a separate website using something like drupal and make the service desk ticket type link to it. But I would greatly prefer to keep the system within something that the users already know.

2 answers

1 vote
DarkSideMilk March 1, 2017

Apologies for the delay in reply, I wrote a nice long reply and then my browser froze and then I forgot to come back and redo it and it has been a busy week.

Anyway this is our current plan.

We have created a internal JIRA core process management type project for tracking assets following the guidelines found in the JIRA asset management ebook. We're still building it out, but we have a decent draft of it for computer assets. But we still want it to start from a customer/employee (most are employees are not JIRA core users, only service desk customer users) facing purchase/order request system.

So the plan in combining them all is in the asset project have an epic (purchase order) that contains issues (assets) and has any invoices or quotes attached to the epic. The problem is we need the same setup in service desk and while you can link the epic issue type into service desk, you can't make it so customers can create/view/edit epic link details. So ideally I would have a help desk request for one purchase order that you select the asset requests (a seperate help desk request type) that you  want in the order. Then it would link invoices, purchase dates, costs, etc.

So my next hurdle is either making it so service desk customers can access my asset project for creating epics (purchase orders) and issues (assets) that need to be approved, or find a way to make an epic link field and a linkable issues field be viewable to the customer.

i.e.
Customer goes to service desk.
Customer makes asset requests with full details of each individual item (make, model, where to buy, cost, etc.)
Customer makes a purchase order that shows them the asset requests that made and they select them and it caclulates a total quantity and cost.
Once approved and purchases, the service request issue is moved into the asset project where other details like serial number and asset tag are added.

or i.e.
Customer clicks service desk type of order request and is redirected to asset project.
Customer creates the epic and issues.
Manager approves or rejects them etc.

Not sure if that all makes sense. But that's where we're at with handling this in Jira. At a previous job a creating a system like this in drupal from scratch. Drupal is free. But I don't really want to try to add another system when we're trying to get people to use JIRA and confluence, which there's a lot more documentation and support on the maintenance of.

0 votes
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2017

This has historically been a tough request for JIRA, happened to come across this question seeing if others had found creative ways to solve it as I have a project on my lap that has a number of description / style / size / qty / price line items.  

Normally you'd need unique names for each field, so as this is for uniforms each quantity would need to be 'Polo Qty', ' Workpant Qty', 'NShorts Qty', 'S/S Shirt Qty' and then rewritten to simply Qty on the front end.

Plugins will then let you group them up, or conditionally show them.  We'll probably use Extension for JIRA Service Desk to accomplish this. 

It's a painful amount of fields though.  Certainly not sure if there's a pest practice.

See also: solving trying to collect multiple addresses in a sane way.

This was asked in November, mind sharing how you solve this in your use case?  Considering going the third party route as well, capturing the quantity and misc data in the description, and the reportable data in custom fields.  Still scoping the project out.

Suggest an answer