Epic not showing in backlog view

Hobey Bennett February 25, 2020

Hey jira buddies, 

i've made an epic and it's not displaying in the backlog board in our project. 

The epic has around 4 issues under it, but only 1 is displaying. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

Hey @Hobey Bennett ! Is this for a Classic or Next-Gen project type?

Classic

If classic make sure any and all filters are cleared clicking on "clear all filters".

Are you project admin?

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 00.05.01.png

Next-Gen

If Next Gen the Epic filters are in the top section of the back-log view.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 00.06.35.png

Hobey Bennett February 25, 2020

Hey, using classic and the filters are all off. 

It's weird :/ 

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

Hmmm.... I remember having this issue ages ago where I'd make a new issue (Epic, User Story, Task... whatever) and it would just disappear with a warning message "it's created but you can't see this" (or similar). I can't remember why nor what I did to resolve it, but i did FIX it and now i see everything.

Are you able to share a screenshot of your Board?

Also, is the Epic visible in the regular Issue overview and can you easily access it?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2020

Oh... and it may sounds really silly, but have you got the right Board open on your screen? (That sometimes happens to me what with so many projects and so many boards. LOL)

Hobey Bennett February 27, 2020

Hey I actually fixed this. 

It was just to do with the board preferences, not allowing it to be viewed. 

Thanks @Andy - PTC Redundant 

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Simon Phillips December 1, 2020

Hey @Hobey Bennett 

I am getting the same issue, which board preference setting fixed this?

Simon

Jason Togneri March 31, 2022

@Simon Phillips your query is old so you probably resolved it, but in case other people find this discussion in the future, look for the "Epics panel" toggle under board settings --> Columns section. Another support thread for reference: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Re-Why-Epics-do-not-appear-in-my-kanban-backlog/qaq-p/1034303/comment-id/331443#M331443 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer