Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Epic name vs. Epic Summary Do we need both?

Hi,

I know the difference between the two but I think 5% of the users use a different text for these two fields.  I always give for both the same name. Can I remove from the screen the Epic Summary? When I clone an Epic I find really annoying to change the two fields and I forget to change the summary. 

Did you try to remove it? 

Thank you and beste regards. 

Mari

1 answer

Hi Mari,

You can remove the Epic Summary field from your screens, just make sure is not marked as mandatory.

Also remember that the Epic Name field is the one that will allow you to locate your Epic on related issues when you look for it on the Epic Link field.

Please let me know if it helps :)

Hi Jesusoros,

we tried to proceed as you suggested.

we removed the "required" flag for "Epic Name" in the field configuration.

Initially it worked, BUT: whenever the server is rebooted the "required" flag is set again.

Do you have any suggestion why JIRA "resets" the field configuration automatically ?

thanks in advance

Hello dr.ostman,

The one I suggested to have the "required" flag removed was Epic Summary.

Epic Name is mandatory by default.

Please let me know what are you trying to accomplish. 

Hi jesusoros,

i thought the same is valid for EPIC NAME.

The problem we try to solve is to keep EPIC Name and Summary in sync automatically and remove one of them from the create transition.

For copying we use "JSU Copy field" in the post function of the "create transition". (copy Summary to EPIC NAME).

Like Russell likes this

Hi jesusoros,

i thought the same is valid for EPIC NAME.

The problem we try to solve is to keep EPIC Name and Summary in sync automatically and remove one of them from the create transition.

For copying we use "JSU Copy field" in the post function of the "create transition". (copy Summary to EPIC NAME).

Hi Jesusoros,

did you have time to think about my aim ?

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,376 views 22 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you