Epic name vs. Epic Summary Do we need both?

Mari Car July 23, 2018

Hi,

I know the difference between the two but I think 5% of the users use a different text for these two fields.  I always give for both the same name. Can I remove from the screen the Epic Summary? When I clone an Epic I find really annoying to change the two fields and I forget to change the summary. 

Did you try to remove it? 

Thank you and beste regards. 

Mari

2 answers

1 vote
Aaron Freedman January 10, 2022

In JIRA Cloud you can now use Automation to ensure that the Epic Name and Epic Summary always match, making them effectively the same field.

Project Settings -> Automation -> Create new Rule

Event: When: Value changes for Summary

Condition: Issue Type = Epic

Action: Set Epic Name to copy from Summary

Then copy that rule and switch the fields, so that if Epic Name changes, the value is copied to Summary. It's working for me so far.

Virginia Morrone January 26, 2022

Hi Aaron, 

may I ask you if your Epic Name field was locked by Jira? 

Thanks!

Larry Johnson April 23, 2022

In Jira Cloud company managed projects, both the Epic Name and Summary fields are required:

111.png

In Jira Cloud team managed projects, this issue of having to populate an additional Epic Name field does not exist. So this Epic Name <-> Summary issue only currently exists for Jira Cloud company managed projects.

We always keep the Epic Name the same as the Summary name, so all of my users have to input the same text twice when they are creating an Epic.

The only solutions I could figure out to address this are:
1 - create your own web-based Epic create screen, and then push that data to Jira via API to create the Epic.
Negative: requires deeper technical skills to program, does not leverage the Jira system user interface, separate system that has to be updated for changes, create screen inside Jira still requires user to enter the same text twice in both the Epic Name and Summary fields

2 - create a separate issue type called "Epic Create". Make the create screen the same as the regular Epic issue create screen, just do not include Epic Name on it. User clicks the Jira blue Create button, selects the issue type "Epic Create", fills out the screen as usual but only has to fill out the Summary field, and Saves. A Jira automation is triggered whenever an "Epic Create" issue type is created. The automation (1) clones the "Epic Create" into an "Epic" and puts {{issue.summary}} into both the Summary and the Epic Name fields and then (2) deletes the "Epic Create" issue.

"Epic Create" screen:222.png

Automation:

333.png

This had to be done to get around having to enter the same text into both the Epic Name and Summary fields with the current functionality / requirements / environment in cloud.

Like # people like this
Marvin Brand November 6, 2022

Very helpful comment! I’ll go for option 2

1 vote
jesusoros July 23, 2018

Hi Mari,

You can remove the Epic Summary field from your screens, just make sure is not marked as mandatory.

Also remember that the Epic Name field is the one that will allow you to locate your Epic on related issues when you look for it on the Epic Link field.

Please let me know if it helps :)

dr_ostman August 27, 2019

Hi Jesusoros,

we tried to proceed as you suggested.

we removed the "required" flag for "Epic Name" in the field configuration.

Initially it worked, BUT: whenever the server is rebooted the "required" flag is set again.

Do you have any suggestion why JIRA "resets" the field configuration automatically ?

thanks in advance

jesusoros August 27, 2019

Hello dr.ostman,

The one I suggested to have the "required" flag removed was Epic Summary.

Epic Name is mandatory by default.

Please let me know what are you trying to accomplish. 

dr_ostman August 28, 2019

Hi jesusoros,

i thought the same is valid for EPIC NAME.

The problem we try to solve is to keep EPIC Name and Summary in sync automatically and remove one of them from the create transition.

For copying we use "JSU Copy field" in the post function of the "create transition". (copy Summary to EPIC NAME).

Like Russell likes this
dr_ostman August 28, 2019

Hi jesusoros,

i thought the same is valid for EPIC NAME.

The problem we try to solve is to keep EPIC Name and Summary in sync automatically and remove one of them from the create transition.

For copying we use "JSU Copy field" in the post function of the "create transition". (copy Summary to EPIC NAME).

dr_ostman September 9, 2019

Hi Jesusoros,

did you have time to think about my aim ?

Thanks

PRAMOD KUMAR REDDY KASIREDDY September 15, 2021

Make Epic Name = Summary Automatically. can you suggest on this? Dr_ostman.

PRAMOD KUMAR REDDY KASIREDDY March 14, 2022

def epicName = getFieldByName("Epic Name")
epicName.setFormValue(getFieldById(getFieldChanged()).getValue())

-Scriptrunner Behavior 

Like # people like this
Erik Ekengren March 31, 2022

Suggest an answer