Epic link colour is not random

Jon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 26, 2019

I use Jira at work and when I create a new epic it is given a random colour.
On my instance all Epics links are brown, and there's even one that doesn't have a colour. 
What's going on?

1 answer

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2019

Hi Jonathan - Welcome to the Community.

Not sure why they are not random - but you can change them.  :-)

Create a filter and include Epic Color as one of the columns. Not the syntax and then do a Bulk change to edit the value of that field. Try different numbers to see the different colors. 

Jon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 26, 2019

Cheers! And thanks for the fast reply

I had a quick look at that, quite annoying to have to type "ghx-label-1" rather than a colour picker of some sort. I think I'd rather have no colour than have to do this manually for each epic. Do you know how I can turn it off entirely?

I'll upvote your answer but won't accept it as I would still like colour if it was automatic.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2019

I am not aware of how to turn it off, but one way might be to include a post function on the Create transition for Epics to set the color each time - maybe even to white so you might not see it? 

I would also open a support ticket with JIRA to suggest the change or even to find out why yours might not be creating randomly. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2019

Hey Jonathan,

Not sure if this works the same in Server as it does for us in the cloud. But if you add the Epics panel in the Backlog screen, you can set the color there.

See this screencast: https://www.screencast.com/t/VxS2ID8fR

Suggest an answer