Epic Name Required and Locked by [Default Text Renderer]

Perkuto Tech September 10, 2019

Hi, I'm getting sync issues with Aha! software due to the "Epic Name" field that recently became "Required". This field is not "visible" via API so I can't map it to sync properly, so it's now throwing sync errors when I'm adding/Updating Epics. 

I think I would need to revert this field to not being Required anymore, or to show up as a visible field to API user, but I have no clue how to do this... 

2 answers

0 votes
Perkuto Tech September 12, 2019

Aha offers the ability to configure mapping Epic field for proper syncing. Currently the default field that was mapped to define the name of the Epic is Summary. I contacted them and they exposed I can solve this in either of 2 ways:

- Make this field not required (not an option apparently)

- Make sure Jira's sync user configured in the Aha-Jira Integration has visibility on this field.  

Considering that last option seems to be my only choice, I tried to map "Epic Name" so that the field is not left blank as required, but this field is apparently not "visible" to my sync user. 

So my question is: how do I make this field visible to the sync user (which is also my own user). 

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2019

Hello David,

thank you for reaching out.

The "Epic Name" field is required by default since the 7.0 releases of JIRA application. As it is a locked field, you can not change it to be not required in the application.

That being said, I'm not aware of how the integration between A-ha and JIRA works, but you can get the Epic name by simply run the GET method of REST API below:

https://petterkrumen.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/{issuekey}

P.S: the call above is for JIRA Cloud. If you are using JIRA Server, refer to this documentation.

To know what is the custom field id related to your Epic Name field, you can simply navigate to your JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom Field > Find the Epic Name and click to view it. The Custom field ID will appear in the URL in the format "customFieldId=id"

Let me know if this information helps you.

Perkuto Tech September 12, 2019

Aha offers the ability to configure mapping Epic field for proper syncing. Currently the default field that was mapped to define the name of the Epic is Summary. I contacted them and they exposed I can solve this in either of 2 ways:

- Make this field not required (not an option apparently)

- Make sure Jira's sync user configured in the Aha-Jira Integration has visibility on this field.

Considering that last option seems to be my only choice, I tried to map "Epic Name" so that the field is not left blank as required, but this field is apparently not "visible" to my sync user.

So my question is: how do I make this field visible to the sync user (which is also my own user).

Suggest an answer