Drop down list limit to list vs not limit to list

Jeff Miller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2018

Most Issue tools have the ability to create customized drop down list values for custom fields. However, I can usually specify is the drop down list field is limited to the list or if values can be typed if they are not in the list values. Does Jira Software support both types i.e. Limit to List and Not Limited to List? If so how do you define the list type? 

1 answer

1 vote
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

In JIRA you have Single, Multi and Cascading (2 level) select lists that are mostly defined by JIRA system administrator. Normal users cannot define values expect a OOTB field called Components. When using this special field a Project Administrator could define values on the go (add/remove without asking JIRA administrator). If you need more complex type of fields you can always extend wat you have by default by installing a plugin (addon) from the marketplace or write your own. There are many examples including lists that are getting the data from external sources (like file or database) dynamically.

Suggest an answer