Does JQL text search has a length limitation?

ji tang April 8, 2018

I'm using below JQL to do the query:

"Script Name" ~ "VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC" works

but "Script Name" ~ "VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC_OPS" not work.

Why?

3 answers

0 votes
Chung Park Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2018

JQL queries are stored in TEXT data type in PostgreSQL and LONGTEXT data type in MySQL, which means they have unlimited length

0 votes
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2018

Hi, Ji.

Does this issue happen in all or specific browser? The JQL should work.

At the same time, we would like to know you using JIRA server or cloud?

Cheers

0 votes
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2018

hi @ji tang,

May I ask you what is the error you are getting when executing the second query? 

ji tang April 9, 2018

Hi, there's no error messages, just get nothing by using second query.

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2018

If there is no error occurred, probably there are no tickets available where Script Name contain VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC_OPS. 

have you noticed any available issues that should filter out in "Script Name" ~ "VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC_OPS" query? 

if so i suggest you to contact Atlassian support regarding this. they should be able to support you further on this :-) 

ji tang April 9, 2018

There does couples of issues where script name contains VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC_OPS.  But the problem is I can query with "VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC" or "VM_SNAPSHOT_BASIC_".   But cannot do it with even one character longer.  That's interesting.

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2018

I suggest you to contact  Atlassian support, they should be able to guide you @ji tang :-) 

ji tang April 9, 2018

Good suggestions, thanks Alana.

Suggest an answer