Disable the Sprint feature on a board, but keep it for another..?

mateus_oliveira April 23, 2024

Our project is managed by Sprints. Our main board also follows this lead.

However, almost everyday we receive issues that end up not being included in the sprint, and therefore, don't appear in the board, since the board only show issues that are in specific sprints, or any sprint, as long as it's active. We're losing some issues because of that.

I created a new board for me, and it wasn't limited to the Sprint feature, it showed everything. Our main board is pretty complete regarding columns and filters, so I wanted to copy that one too, but I wasn't able to find how to deactivate the Sprint in this one... How exactly can I deactivate this filter only on THIS board, while maintaining the original one with its sprint scope?

Thank you all in advance!

(I know the simplest solution would be "ok, so include everything in the sprint as soon as it comes", but people just don't do that, so I'm looking for a workaround to keep the issues managed, while maintaining the sprints facade...)

1 answer

0 votes
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

Hi @mateus_oliveira 

If you need to add content to a Sprint when it come in, it's maybe that you are using the wrong methodology and should look at Kanban instead.

For you own board you could create a new Kanban bard this time and use the same filter used in the Scrum board. By doing so, Sprint will not be available on this new board.

Regards

mateus_oliveira April 23, 2024

Hi Florian, thanks for replying. I'll check our Kanban settings.

Yeah, I created a new board and used similar filters, and I was able to get a board with no ties to Sprints.

But is it possible to deactivate these ties to sprint when I clone a board that has it? How is that activated or set when we're creating boards?

Thanks!

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

No you cannot, the Sprint feature is tied to the board type (Kanban / Scrum) that is copied when you copy a board. You could create 2 boards "template" that you will use later to copy it if needed based on your need.

mateus_oliveira April 26, 2024

Hey Florian, thanks for the info! I haven't participated in the creation of this board... Could you tell me a bit more about in what moment it's possible to set if the board will be tied to the sprints or not?

Oh, also, our whole Jira and our whole project is actually managed by our company, so it seems I can't create board templates... I guess the only way is to create this new board from scratch, which will take a lot of time... I'm honestly kinda surprised this whole Sprints setting is not easily deactivatable/activatable...

Thanks anyway!

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2024

You can define the type of board at the board creation, it's the first step asked to the user who create the board.

You can copy the board, from the board you want to copy, on the top right, Board > Copy.

Creating a board | Jira Software Data Center 9.15 | Atlassian Documentation

Regards 

Suggest an answer