Different Create Screens depending on user-groups

Manu June 27, 2018

I got the following requirement to implement in jira software:

User accounts are members of 2 groups

- simple users

- advanced users

Depending on the membership of a group there should be used 2 different Create-Screens for new Issues in a project:

- simple user should get a "simple Screen" only with a few fields

- advanced users should get a "detailed Screen" with more fields

Is there any chance to get the requierement be implemented in Jira - at the moment I have no idea but I do also not find a workflow condition to check group membership of a user at a transition with could be a chance?

Thanks for any ideas

Regards from Germany

Manuel

3 answers

0 votes
Manu June 27, 2018

@Moses Thomas Thank for your ideas, but

- 2 issue types are not posible, because later in workflow advanced users shoudl complete the poor Information from simple users

- 2 project are also no option - same reason...

Regards from Germany

Manuel

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2018

Hi @Manu, there's nothing out of the box that does what you're asking, but I'm sure we can think of some creative ways you might be able to use.  For example:  What if you used the "Issue Collector" function for the simple users and the regular Create screen for the advanced users?

Read more about the Issue Collector here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-the-issue-collector-802592637.html

Also, it is possible to check group membership in workflow transitions, but you'll need a plugin to do it.  If you have Jira Server, check our Suite Utilities for Jira.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/5048/jsu-suite-utilities-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview.  There are probably others that provide similar functionality.  I don't think this will help you on the "Create" action, but you could show or hide transition buttons (based on group membership) which launch different transition screens later in the workflow.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2018

@ManuIt is possible, but the way  i see it to  work  is  choose issue types  that  are  for advance  users / issue types that  are for simple  users,  and the associate issue type with  screen scheme   in which  you  have  your custom screen with  fields in it  then associate the create operation in with this  screen in this project  and then  use a validator    that only allows users in one of these groups (simple or advance users) to  create ticket ( you can display a simple message when they are blocked from  creating ticket.

OR 

You create separate project  in Jira, one for advance  and one for simple  users,

and just  user one screen scheme with  fields  as you  have specified.

You will not  give  permission to  simple users for project  which  is for advance  user,

same also  for the project  which is for simple users  you will not give permission to  Advance users.

Suggest an answer