Default value not showing for a custom field but displaying unexpected other value instead.

Boyd Hong July 15, 2022

Need some helps here!

Context:

I have created a custom field named "Services" which include options of my app features. It is a mandatory field, required select at least one option before transitioning incident ticket to "complete" status.

Problem spotted:

I have set this custom field to be appeared in Screen during transition ticket from "Work In Progress" to "Complete" status, however i notice that every time i transit a ticket, this field not showing "None" by default but "Other" option instead which is not my expectation.

messageImage_1657947075629.jpg

messageImage_1657947063591.jpg

I come to check this custom field configuration, no 'Other' option is set as default one.

messageImage_1657947187749.jpg

Business Impact:

Due to this issue, i have detected that 'Other' option of Services field have been increasingly selected by default (Not my expectation, repeated) rather real choices that really match for incident scenario. This causes frustration when i have to run the monthly report as the collected data has been compromised.

It's kind of weird issue.

Appreciated all commented advice here.

4 answers

0 votes
Boyd Hong July 17, 2022

Dear @John Funk @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ @Mahesh Shinde 

I have investigated and finally found the root cause.

Someone in my team has added "Services" field as a hidden one in my team "Request Form" and set "Other" as a default value, when customers submit the form, the Service's "Other" value is secretly saved and represent again on the screen transition.

Then i reproduced the case by setting "Service" field to show up on "Issue View", and raised a dummy ticket through the following form. "Other" value is displayed as well.

To fix the issue, i remove the hidden field "Services" and save this Request Form, the 2nd dummy ticket created and it showed that no "Other" value was represented but "None" instead.

Root Cause.png

Thank you for guiding me on this issue guys.

BR,

Boyd

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2022

Hi @Boyd Hong ,

if you define a field as mandatory, None option will not appear. As workaround you can add your own option ("None" or something similar) and make it as default value.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2022

There's a couple of layers to this, and some of it means that I want to explain a little bit of Jira-speak to frame it a bit.

You say " It is a mandatory field, required select at least one option before transitioning incident ticket to "complete" status."

In Jira, a mandatory field is one that is mandatory from the start of its life.  It is a flag in the field configuration which means that you can't even create an issue without selecting (or defaulting) a value.

Making a field mandatory in a workflow (i.e. you can leave it empty until you try to close the issue for example) is done with validators, not the mandatory flag.

So this begs the question of how you have made the field mandatory, and might explain what you are seeing:

If you have done it in field configuration, then you are getting "other" entered into the field when the issue is created, because you can't create an issue without filling in mandatory fields.  People are selecting other when they're not sure.  Your default of "none" won't go through.

A default value only applies to the create process, you don't default data on to issues once they've been created.

So, I think what you are seeing is actually correct behaviour for what you've set up.  But what you actually want to do is make the field optional, still default it to "none" and then add a validator to check that it gets filled before they complete the issue.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2022

@Boyd Hong  - are you able to answer Nic’s question? Can you look at an existing issue that has been created but is not done yet and does it have a value of Other for that field already?

0 votes
Mahesh Shinde
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2022

Hi @Boyd Hong :

Can you check if there is condition, validator or post-function configured for this field in workflow transition or is there any automation configure using third party app?

Also try to do project indexing for this project.

Regards,

Mahesh Shinde

Boyd Hong July 15, 2022

I have rechecked and no mentioned extra step added to this field, including automation change too.

May i request a source of doing project indexing? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2022

You can't re-index projects on Cloud, it handles all of that for you automatically.

Suggest an answer