• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Custom number field won't sort numerically

Hi guys,

I have a customer number field that we use to assign specific priority values. Only, in a search, it won't order numerically. We have options such as 0.4, 0.6, 1, 2.6, etc that are ordering:

etc

Can anyone add anything?

5 answers

0 votes

I do not think you have a "number" field.  It looks to me like you have created a select list field.

How are you trying to do the sort in the search?  (Click or order by clause?)

Just got a comment email about this one.

We really do need to see how you have set up the field.  How it looks to your people is irrelevant at the moment, we need to see the actual setup, including

the field type

the searcher 

Please, go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields -> "Bang for the buck score".  Tell us what the "type" column says there.

(If it says "Number field", which I don't think it will, then click on the options to the right and hit "edit details" and then tell us what the "searcher" says")

Hi @Nick van der Net,

It would be great if you can share with us a screenshot of the custom field on the Custom Field page. We would like to know what is the exact type of field. 

Besides that, how are you performing the ordering?

Thanks,
Moga

Hi guys, as you can see from the screen shots, they are number fields. And the ordering doesn't work.

John Funk Community Leader Feb 11, 2021

That screen shot does not prove they are number fields. You need to go to Settings > Issues > Custom Fields 

Then search for the custom field and do a screen shot of that page which shows the field type. 

You need to look at the second screenshot, which is exactly that.

Nope, it will look like this:

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 7.49.00 AM.png

For the issue search, if it's possible please switch the JQL to Advance Mode and copy the JQL to us.

Thanks,
Moga

Like Nick van der Net likes this

That looks like a Jira Classic project to me, or am I missing something?

John Funk Community Leader Feb 12, 2021

It is definitely a Next-gen project. You should see that title under the name of the project in the upper left side. 

I would go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian - this might be a bug with Next-gen project custom number fields. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

HAH! It's a next gen project. Lol, sorry. I tried on my end and it works fine:
image.png

Please check the JQL as mentioned before.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

748 views 12 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you