Custom number field won't sort numerically

Nick van der Net February 10, 2021

Hi guys,

I have a customer number field that we use to assign specific priority values. Only, in a search, it won't order numerically. We have options such as 0.4, 0.6, 1, 2.6, etc that are ordering:

etc

Can anyone add anything?

5 answers

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

HAH! It's a next gen project. Lol, sorry. I tried on my end and it works fine:
image.png

Please check the JQL as mentioned before.

Thanks.

0 votes

Hi guys, as you can see from the screen shots, they are number fields. And the ordering doesn't work.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

That screen shot does not prove they are number fields. You need to go to Settings > Issues > Custom Fields 

Then search for the custom field and do a screen shot of that page which shows the field type. 

Nick van der Net February 11, 2021

You need to look at the second screenshot, which is exactly that.

mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

Nope, it will look like this:

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 7.49.00 AM.png

For the issue search, if it's possible please switch the JQL to Advance Mode and copy the JQL to us.

Thanks,
Moga

Like Nick van der Net likes this
Nick van der Net February 11, 2021

That looks like a Jira Classic project to me, or am I missing something?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

It is definitely a Next-gen project. You should see that title under the name of the project in the upper left side. 

I would go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian - this might be a bug with Next-gen project custom number fields. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

0 votes

Atlassian ordering.pngField types.png

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2021

Hi @Nick van der Net,

It would be great if you can share with us a screenshot of the custom field on the Custom Field page. We would like to know what is the exact type of field. 

Besides that, how are you performing the ordering?

Thanks,
Moga

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2021

I do not think you have a "number" field.  It looks to me like you have created a select list field.

How are you trying to do the sort in the search?  (Click or order by clause?)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2021

Just got a comment email about this one.

We really do need to see how you have set up the field.  How it looks to your people is irrelevant at the moment, we need to see the actual setup, including

the field type

the searcher 

Please, go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields -> "Bang for the buck score".  Tell us what the "type" column says there.

(If it says "Number field", which I don't think it will, then click on the options to the right and hit "edit details" and then tell us what the "searcher" says")

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events