Custom Field Default Value Not Populating

Philip Cushing March 11, 2019

Good day.

I have read through many threads and will give a rundown here on what has been done but the issue at point is I cannot get the default value for a custom field to populate on creation. 

1. custom field created 
2. global configuration set for issue types being used by all projects not using specific contexts 

3. default value set 

4. contexts created for specific projects requiring different values in the custom field 

5. default value set for each of these contexts 

6. added the custom field to each project that needs to use this (global and context specific)
7. creation of an issue did not populate the default value - it shows it in the creation of the issue view but not in the promoted version (strange) 
8. attempted making this field required to see if that corrected the default value not showing up

9. it did not - still shows the default value in creation which allows for the creation to be promoted but still populates with a "none" in the field 

I am sure it is a simple step that I am missing somewhere, such as a comma in some scripting last week that I missed for over an hour when attempting to get some code to work. Any guidance is appreciated. 

- Philip 

2 answers

0 votes
NRP January 13, 2020

I have same problem

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2019

Hi Philip,

Thanks for reaching out to Atlassian Community!
I would like to replicate this issue on my test environment to check why this issue is happening and if there is something we can do to fix it.
Can you please share with us what type of field you created?
Have you tested using another type of field?
Once we hear from you, we will be able to test here to better understand the issue.

Regards,
Angélica

Micheal Planck November 30, 2023

I have the same problem.

Jira Cloud, Team-Managed Project

If I create a Dropdown field with 1 selection as part of the Issue, and select a default value, it works as expected.

However, the JXL app Sheets gets confused when you use it with these custom fields, as it includes all of the custom fields from all team-managed projects, and since they all have the same name (since they are supposed to be the same field), it's a mess.

So: I create a global custom field in Jira System settings, with Default context. Now I can include that field on my issue types, JXL only ever sees the one field, everything is great.

Except. The default value is not applied. I can specify the default value from Jira System settings, it just doesn't get filled in on issue creation (like it does if it is a locally defined field).

Why? For the love of God, Montressor, why?

Presumably it works correctly on company-managed projects. (I don't know because I don't have any). It mostly works on team-managed projects (the field is there, can be set, searched on, etc.). It's just that the default doesn't get set on a team-managed project.

If global custom fields aren't supposed to work with team-managed projects, then they shouldn't be available to add to a team managed project.

If global custom fields are supposed to work with team-managed projects, then they should work, including setting the default.

For the life of me I cannot even imagine how you made it work in place, added it to another place, and somehow broke it in between.

SOLUTION: I found the solution! You set the default value from the issue types screen.

Never mind that the options in your custom field dropdown list are greyed out, because you cannot edit them, because they are a globally defined custom field: you can still edit them to select a default value! Just click on one option at the right side.

This is of course insane. There is no indication that you can edit these values, and even if someone thought it was cool to let team-managed projects override global custom field defaults, the global default ought to still work.

Suggest an answer