Create project options for adminstrator role

Gita Murthy June 26, 2018

We are using the trial version of JIRA so I assume it is the cloud version.

When I click on our Project then Settings > People. I see, my account has the Role of Adminstrators.

But when I click on Create a project, I get only the Agility template.

Question: 

1. What steps should the be taken to give me the ability to create using different templates like Scrum etc.

2. Is the person who signed up for this trial, have the Sys Admin permissions.

3. We are all new to this, so please let us know who can make the change and the steps to do so.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2018

Hi Gita,

If you just signed up for Jira and you are not hosting it on your own server, then it is, indeed, the cloud version. You can confirm this by looking at the URL that you type to access it. If it is <companyname>.atlassian.net, it is Jira Cloud.

Now, regarding your question, there might be a bit of confusion between the Project role named Administrator and the Group named Administrators. The project role only refers to that specific project, while being part of the group Administrators is a global setting.

1. In order to create a project in Jira, other than the independent (Agility) project, you need to be part of the group Administrators.

2. Sys Admin permissions do not exist for end-users in Jira Cloud. The group with the highest permission level is Site-admin. Users in this group are the only ones that can add new users and assign existing users to groups. Most likely, the person that signed up for the trial is the site-admin. You can find more info about default groups in this documentation

3. You need to ask the site-admin(s) to add you to the group Administrators if you want to create projects with the Scrum template or others.

Claudiu

Gita Murthy June 28, 2018

Thank you for the answer. It worked.

Suggest an answer