Could CVE-2020-17527 affect Jira and/or Confluence?

Sam December 8, 2020

Could CVE-2020-17527 affect the security of Jira and Confluence versions that are bundled with insecure Tomcat versions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2020

Hello Sam,

Our security team is assessing this particular CVE per our security bug-fix policy (NVD has scored this as 'high' in Tomcat). This message is simply an acknowledgment that the particular CVE is being evaluated at Atlassian. While I don't have details to share at the moment, I will update this answer when more information does become available. Thanks for being alert and on top of CVEs!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Sam December 10, 2020

Hi Daniel, thank you for your response! I actually raised a ticket with Atlassian about this, and they confirmed that this would only affect the instances if Tomcat used HTTP/2. I was able to verify that none of our instances use HTTP/2 by going to the server.xml and looking at the following line:

<Connector port="8080" relaxedPathChars="[]|" relaxedQueryChars="[]|{}^&#x5c;&#x60;&quot;&lt;&gt;"
                   maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" connectionTimeout="20000" enableLookups="false"
                   maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" protocol="HTTP/1.1" useBodyEncodingForURI="true" redirectPort="8443"
                   acceptCount="100" disableUploadTimeout="true" bindOnInit="false"/>

Because of the line "protocol="HTTP/1.1"", I was able to verify that this would not affect our instances.

Like Daniel Eads likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events