Copy and Paste image stopped working while creating Jira tickets

Pranav Taneja February 8, 2021

I noticed that copy-paste images stopped working all of a sudden on my account. I have been using it for since a long time but not sure how it stopped. Please suggest as I can't continue my work. thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2021

Hi there, could you give some more details on where you are copying and pasting from (i.e. another Atlassian product, another ticket, outside of Atlassian).

And where you are pasting into (i.e. create issue view in Jira classic, issue view in NextGen, comments etc).

Hi Owen, I use Snag It to capture screenshots and then when I used to paste it in the description, it used to attach the screenshot in the attachment section. However, it stopped working all of a sudden

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2021

Is the screenshot appearing in the description, and just not the attachment section?

Or is the screenshot showing something like 'failed to load'?

Tarun Rekhadi February 8, 2021

Hi @Owen Wallis 

We are also facing the same issue. When I try to paste a screenshot in description by pressing CTRL+V, it does not perform any action and it does not paste the image anywhere in JIRA.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2021

@Tarun Rekhadi is this when using Snag It too? Also same question for you; 

Is the screenshot appearing in the description, and just not the attachment section? (Think you may have answered this above).

Or is the screenshot showing something like 'failed to load'?

Tarun Rekhadi February 8, 2021

@Owen Wallis 

We are not seeing any action when pressing CTRL+V (nothing happens). Also we are not seeing any message such as 'failed to load'.

We are copying image from FastStone Capture tool. This is similar to SnagIt. 

Same as Tarun. on pasting, nothing happens

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2021

Ok thanks both, let me check in with my teams here and see if they need any further details.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2021

Couple more questions for you both if I may,

In Jira are you creating an issue then pasting?

Or are you pasting into the comments or description of an existing issue?

Also do you know if you are using Jira Classic or NextGen?

Lakshmi Dayananda February 9, 2021

Hi Owen , Unable to copy paste a screenshot using CTRL+V when a) creating an issue then pasting b) pasting into comments of an existing issue and new issue c) pasting into description of an existing issue and new issue.

As mentioned above by the original reporter of this issue , I too am facing this issue all of a sudden. Was working fine earlier in the day. Now I can no longer copy & paste an image into the JIRA ticket (please note copy & paste of text is still working fine though).

Margaret Brintlinger February 9, 2021

I have this exact issue, which began yesterday (Feb 8, 2021).  In the Description and Comments, when I click CNTRL+V to paste an image (from my clipboard), nothing happens.  Same if I right click and select 'paste' - nothing happens.  One of my co-workers can still paste (with no issue).  This is super odd behavior happening!

Pranav Taneja February 9, 2021

@Owen Wallis To answer your question, the issue happens when I am creating an issue and then pasting the image. Looks like a lot a people are having this issue all of a sudden. 

DENIS GALIPEAU February 9, 2021

Hello, 

Since this morning I am unable to copy-paste images in Jira tickets as well.

It works for another colleague on the same instance. 

Any assistance is welcome. Thanks

DENIS GALIPEAU February 9, 2021

Hello,

I enable the new Jira view and I am now able to copy-paste the images.

Sue White February 9, 2021

Same issue here, unable to Ctrl+V or right click and paste images. Nothing happens. Tried switching to the new Jira issue view but still does not work. Tried in Chrome and Firefox.

Christopher Jewett February 9, 2021

I thought I was going crazy. Dealing with the same thing myself, starting yesterday. Thought maybe it was my browser, or computer, or something else. I tried 3 different browsers, clearing cache, blowing away my browser profile, restarting (of course), all kinds of other things -- no dice. The other suggestion of turning on the new view worked.. The problem is, I utterly hate the new view. I tried it, reverted back,.. And now I feel like I'm being forced upon the new interface early. The new interface requires additional clicks for everything, and it's much harder to find everything I need than before. I'll get used to it I'm sure, but this is a pretty unhappy way to be forced to move forward. Given that none of us will have a choice after 3/31 anyway, I guess I'll just be force to become an early adopter, but know you've really upset your customers today and significantly impeded our workflows being able to document bugs and report issues.

Like Jeff Anduza likes this
Christy Bailey April 26, 2023

@Owen Wallis My teammates and I cannot copy and paste an image specifically from a Google Doc into the Jira Description or Comment fields.

The regular image insertion in JIRA works fine, as does copying from SnagIt, for example. If there are mixed media, text and an image, only the text is pasted.  Can you provide some insight on this?

Note:  I've read through this entire thread, and the issue first reported on February 8th, 2021, seems to be the closest to the issue we are experiencing.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
May 1, 2023

@Christy Bailey looks to be an issue in how Google are formatting images - and how we translate that into our systems on copy and paste.

I've flagged this with the team looking after the Media integration in Confluence. No ETA on a fix though, sorry

Christy Bailey May 2, 2023

Thanks@Owen Wallis Bad news that it's an issue, but great news that it is going to (eventually) be fixed! 

Will someone let us know when it is?  Or will we need to check periodically until we notice it's working again?

Please advise so I can update my team.  Thanks again!

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2023

@Christy Bailey best thing would be to watch these two tickets: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-28812 and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-4337

They are not 100% related to Google docs - but when the team works on copy and paste they will likely fix across Google and MSFT at once

Christy Bailey May 11, 2023

@Owen Wallis Thanks for the update!  I looked at the Jira tickets referenced above, and as stated, realize they are not 100% related to Google Docs.  Note:  I noticed 28812 was created in 2013, and 4337 was created in 2005; both were updated in March 2023.

The copy-and-paste functionality from Google Docs had been working until at least April 2023.  Whereas, it seems like the other issues have never functioned properly and have been in the queue to fix for quite a long while.

I'm unsure if this makes a difference, but I wanted to make you aware.  I'd appreciate your checking into this and letting me know.

Thanks so much!

Like Owen Wallis likes this
jeff swerens May 19, 2023

@Owen Wallis is anyone reporting that pasting from Teams isn't working? it's maddening. my team is sending me screen shots via Teams and I have to retake them with Snag-It to past them in bugs/stories.

Like Chris Covert likes this
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
May 21, 2023

@jeff swerens I've not seen that, but I'll pass on the info

Christy Bailey June 28, 2023

@Owen Wallis, I spot-checked to see if I could copy and paste an image specifically from a Google Doc into the Jira Description or Comment fields and guess what?  It works now!

Additional Info:

I can't speak to the other related issues, but I presume they are still outstanding.

1. Allow copy and paste or/and drag and drop of attachments straight from MS Outlook
  2. Improve copy and paste from Microsoft Word into Confluence WYSIWYG editor

Thanks for your help!

3 votes
Peter Linnet November 24, 2021

This issue seems to be back?

Just noticed that I'm unable to paste images into comments (nothing happens).

Pasting text works fine.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
November 29, 2021

Was this a one off problem, or still happening consistently?

Peter Linnet November 30, 2021

Still not able to paste images, so I guess it's still happening consistently.

Joel Stauffer November 30, 2021

Here too. Specifically, we preview content (text and images) in an HTML viewer, select all, copy, and paste it into the Confluence page. It worked as recently as last week but not this morning during a demo. 

I've tried different browsers and different HTML previews with no success. 

Dragging single images from the desktop or pasting from an image capture tool works but this is not comparable functionality and is not a suitable workaround.

Regards.

Like # people like this
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2021

@Peter Linnet just to check - are you trying to paste mixed content (images and text) into Jira comments or Confluence comments?

Or is it just pasting images into comments you are having issues with?

@Joel Stauffer you're trying to copy and paste mixed content just into Confluence right? I assume into the editor rather than comments?

Peter Linnet December 9, 2021

It's just the image (a screenshot), like this:
2021-12-09_09h15_34.png

...BUT: it's working today, so I don't know. Apparently it comes and goes... ?

Joel Stauffer December 9, 2021

@Peter Linnet A colleague pointed out to me that my report has to do with regular pages, not comments as in this thread. So, I commented on the correct issue page as shown below:

So, my error has to do with pasting mixed HTML content into a page in the edit mode for which I have full permission. The results are that the images show as placeholders but the previews error out. And then when I try to save the page the spinner just spins, and it never completes the save.

Many thanks,

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
December 9, 2021

Thanks @Joel Stauffer I've passed this onto my dev team.

@Peter Linnet sorry to hear you are having intermittent issues. I'd suggest raising a support ticket, then our dev teams can have a look at your site and see if they can find anything amiss.

Peter Linnet December 10, 2021

OK, thanks. Will do if the problem comes back.

I did notice yesterday, that the problem may be related to the status of the issue I'm trying to add a comment to. Where done/closed issues will not allow pasting images, and open issues will. Text pasting works with all issue statuses.

But again this is only a preliminary theory. I haven't tested it thoroughly for a consistent repro, but maybe it's relevant to you.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2021

Hi all, thanks for alerting me to this issue. I've been working with the Jira team and the problem should now be fixed.

If you refresh any pages you are working on Copy and pasting should work as before.

Tomas Pesko February 10, 2021

Thanks, I can confirm that this is now working for me.

Tarun Rekhadi February 10, 2021

@Owen Wallis , I can confirm that we are now able to paste screenshots in JIRA. Thanks for resolving.

Margaret Brintlinger February 10, 2021

Awesome news Owen!  I too just confirmed I'm able to paste screenshots in both the description field and comments field again!  Thanks much!

1 vote
Gerard Lang June 28, 2023

I doubt entirely that Jira dont know that the entire user base of their overblown and overrated products as entirely p'd off at the incredulous inability to use the simple core functionality copy and paste of images that every other software in the entire planet seems capable of handling.   I wont hold my breath for a fix as this seems to have had you stumped for years now.  Incredulous really!

1 vote
Tomas Pesko February 9, 2021

Same issue started to appear for me too from today.

I am using Google Chrome (Version 88.0.4324.146) on Mac OS Big Sur

When I am creating a new ticket, in the description of the ticket, I used to be able to paste any image. Basically I have done a screenshot via shift + control + command + 4, then copy it into clipboard and paste into the ticket description. 

This has stopped working from today, there is nothing added to the description, no attachments added to the ticket, no message about failing to upload the image.

Thanks

Tomas

Olivier Ruis February 8, 2022

I'm facing the exact same issue: copy-pasting image in the description during the creation of the issue does not work. But once the issue has been created, if I edit the description and paste the image again, it works.

I think the problem exists since we are able to format the text of the description during the creation of the issue.

Olivier

0 votes
DENIS GALIPEAU February 10, 2021

Resolved for me as well with the "old" view. Thanks !

tulasi.abothula December 21, 2022

I am having this copy paste issue since few days and jira does not paste any text copied from jira or word doc or notepad. How to fix this issue?

Suggest an answer