Clone or copy an entire project in Jira Cloud

Alfonso Pedro Fernández September 25, 2018

Hi I want to clone and ENTIRE project in Jira. Why? Because I want separated projects for iOS and Android. They will be quite similar so any suggestion please?

3 answers

7 votes
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 21, 2023

Hello,

This use case is quite interesting, as it's something I have quite often encountered when speaking with Project Managers using Jira.

Basically, what you need is a "Template" project, which contains all the possible features or specs that will need to be often reused. This is your source of truth, that needs to always be up-to-date and will be copy, partially, each time a new project is created. In this example, you will pick and select issues (or Epics) for the iOS project, and pick and select other issues (or Epics) for the Android projects. There will be overlap, potentially a lot of overlap, between the content of the two projects.

To do this, what I would advice is to have your template project organized in Epics, with issues and subtasks within. When a new project is created, you should simply select the Epics that suit the project, and bulk clone them while keeping their hierarchies.

This can be done with our add-on, Elements Copy & Sync.

It will let you bulk copy issues from the Jira search results (here, the Epics you are interested in) while automatically retrieve their issues (using the Jira Epic clone feature).

What is particularly interesting is that the app lets you keep your projects synchronized. This is useful when your "source of truth" needs to be updated. You will be able to simply update the stories in the template project, and the changes can be automatically applied to all the projects that were created from it.

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

carl August 28, 2023

Hello Julien,

Does Elements Copy & Sync also clone config's, workflows and scripts from one project to another?

Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 29, 2023

Hello @carl 

No, Elements Copy & Sync is meant to copy issues, with everything in them (fields, comments, attachments, etc.).

However, when creating a Project with Jira, I do believe there is a native option to create this Project from another one, thus copying its config, workflow...

I hope this helps.

Julien

2 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

Hi all ... Anyone found any route to do this? I will look at the Deep Clone add on but would like to try control this internal and possibly do this without an add on - either via the Interface or API? Anyone? Thanks in advance for new updates..

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
November 26, 2020

Hi @Yatish Madhav ,

It might be interesting for you that we've released an update of Deep Clone for Jira last week that enables you to clone entire Jira projects, including settings, components, versions and issues.

Khalid Alahmadi November 30, 2020

@Marlene Kegel - codefortynine Can you please share docs for cloning entire projects? specifically classic projects 

Marketplace Partner
November 30, 2020

Welcome to the community, @Khalid Alahmadi

Sure! Here you can find our documentation about cloning projects.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with our support. We usually reply within one working day.

Khalid Alahmadi November 30, 2020

@Marlene Kegel - codefortynine  thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately I cant seem to find the clone project button in Jira. Hope you can help in this

Marketplace Partner
November 30, 2020

@Khalid Alahmadi You trigger a Project Clone via a Bulk Clone.

Here you find the Bulk Clone dialog:

deep-clone-jira_bulk-clone-ux.png

Here you can find more information about how to Bulk Clone.

Here's a video about bulk cloning.

Drew McManus April 30, 2022

I have to point out that codefornine's response about cloning entire projects is ENTIRELY misleading. It's limited to Jira Classic and the fact that their rep included a reply here where the initial question indicates this is for Jira Cloud is frustrating. They completely failed to mention that huge limitation.

Marketplace Partner
May 2, 2022

Update: It is possible to clone company-managed and team-managed projects.

• Company-managed projects can be cloned without further configuration.
  • If you want to clone team-managed projects or company-managed project boards, you have to enable the Advanced Project Clone. 

---

Hello @Drew McManus,

I am very sorry that you perceived our wording as misleading.

We updated our documentation and our Marketplace page a few months ago.

It's limited to Jira Classic and the fact that their rep included a reply here where the initial question indicates this is for Jira Cloud is frustrating.

To avoid misunderstandings: Deep Clone for Jira is only available for Jira cloud. It is possible to work with team-managed and company-managed projects in a Jira cloud instance. So the Deep Clone project clone is available for Jira cloud. 

Here some more details about known limitations of the Deep Clone project clone. You can find this information also at the bottom of the page of our project clone documentation

• Jira Service Management (JSM) team-managed projects cannot be cloned yet.

• Cloning board configurations is not yet available for team-managed projects. 
  • Cloning Jira automation rules is not possible at the moment.

Drew McManus May 2, 2022

This isn't a perception, it's black and white in the copy above. Given how frequently your company responds on these boards, the ethical thing to do would be posting that exact clarification in posts like this one to prevent Jira users from wasting their valuable time.

0 votes
Rafał Nowakowski September 25, 2018

Below you have few possibilities:

1. You can create project using existing configuration from source project (you can choose this option while creating new project). Be aware that in this case changing for example workflow or permission scheme will affect both projects;

2. You can manually copy existing configurations like workflow, permission, boards etc. And then use it in new project.

3. If you want to copy already existing issues, components ,version etc I recommend scriptrunner and it's build-in "copy project"

4. You can also consider to stay with one project but separate Android and iOS tasks using basic jira functions like components or labels

Deleted user July 19, 2019

Does the ScriptRunner 'copy project' script work with JIRA Cloud? (Looking for a plug-in solution to this problem).

Like Oğuz Kağan Aslan likes this
Abdelhalim ELKHATTABI November 20, 2019

No buit in script to copy project in scriptrunner cloud :/

Suggest an answer