Change the framework of comment in JIRA?

cierralewis June 26, 2018

Hello, 

I want to know if it's possible to edit the framework for comments in JIRA? Specifically, I want to modify the framework so when when the user gets ready to write a comment, they have certain fields to fill out in the comment (what's needed, next steps, and questions fields).

Is this possible???

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2018

Hi Cierra,

I would suggest using a workflow transition that loops back to the same status the issue is currently in. As part of the workflow transition, you can set a screen that has custom fields for the information you want to collect (what's needed, next steps, questions, etc). Users can then trigger this screen by clicking the button for the transition.

My recommendation is to avoid trying to pre-populate text for those things in the Comments field. There's a discussion from a few years back that talks about some of the reasons to avoid putting standardized info like this in comments. By using a transition and custom fields, the Comments field will still be available but the pieces of info (what's needed, next steps, etc) can be required individually in their own specific fields.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer