Cannot see the field Summary in rich filters or JQL

mboisvert April 18, 2024

Hello,

I'm trying to create a rich filter (e.g. Issue Statistics) where I will see the number of tickets closed by Summary, but it seems the field is not available... even using JQL.

Is it a limitation in Jira?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

Hi @mboisvert and welcome to the Community!

To a certain extent, yes. You can search for issues on the summary field, but it will always be an approximative search, like this:

summary ~ "some text"

Because the field is free text, you can not use it to group reports by it. You should see that the options you have will always be structured fields, like labels, versions, components, select list custom fields, users or status - in short, anything that has a predefined set of options.

For text fields, Jira does not support searching with an = (equals) operator. That is indeed a limitation.

Hope this helps!

mboisvert April 18, 2024

@Walter Buggenhout Thanks for your time and your answer. It makes sense.

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

Hello @mboisvert 

Welcome and, when you say.. " number of tickets closed by Summary"... whose summary? The parent's summary?

Because, Lets assume your query gives you list of "stories". and you want to summarize it. You basically group them with something which does not belong to the story exclusively. 

I guess what I mean is, just like you could nt find smmary, you will not find description or acceptance criteria or even issue key as an option in this type of gadget.

You could summarize by Parent for example or other fields which are tied to a story but configured outside of the story's scope.

Please rethink what kind of statistic you are looking  for..

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events