Cannot find a Jira ticket of it is closed (status=Done) and if I search by text (text ~ keywords)

Tarek Faham April 22, 2024

I noticed that if the ticket is closed (Status = Done), the search using "text ~ keywords" will not locate the ticket. I confirmed that using various search scenarios. 

Am I missing anything?

I appreciate your help.

2 answers

0 votes
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2024

Hi @Tarek Faham 

closing a ticket should not result in "hiding" an issue.

Could you clarify where you are trying to find it? On a board? In the issue search?

If you are searching, could you paste the JQL/search term you used?

Tarek Faham April 24, 2024

I am trying the search from the Issues/Search for Issues menu option, using advanced mode.

It's a simple JQL. Something like:

text ~ "XYZ..."

If the ticket status is "Done" it won't be found. If it is "In Progress" or "To Do" it will be found.

0 votes
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

Could you provide the exact JQL? Is it just something like "Status = Done AND summary ~ customer"?

It's a simple JQL. Something like:

text ~ "XYZ..."

If the ticket status is "Done" it won't be found. If it is "In Progress" or "To Do" it will be found.

I am seeing mixed results. I think if the status is Done and if the keywords I am searching for are only specified in a custom field such as "External Reference" then it won't show. But it will show if I put such keywords in a comment

Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2024

If you just look for "text ~ xyz", it only searches through the system fields (e.g. Summary, Description, comments). If you're looking for text in a particular custom field, you need to call those fields out directly (e.g. 'Acceptance Criteria" ~ xyz)

Suggest an answer